Sarah Everard disappearance: Police officer arrested on suspicion of murder

·2-min read

The police officer held in connection with the disappearance of Sarah Everard has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

The man, who is in his 40s and a serving Metropolitan Police officer, was initially arrested on Tuesday night on suspicion of kidnap at an address in Kent.

He has now been further arrested on suspicion of murder and a separate allegation of indecent exposure, Met Police said on Wednesday.

The Met confirmed that the police officer, who was not on duty at the time of Ms Everard's disappearance, worked for the force's parliamentary and diplomatic protection command.

"His primary role was uniformed patrol duties of diplomatic premises," they said.

It is still unclear if the officer was known to Ms Everard, 33.

Watch: Body found in Kent woodland is that of missing woman, police confirm

Met Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave previously described his arrest as a "serious and significant" development in the search.

A woman in her 30s, who was arrested at the same property as the officer, is still being held on suspicion of assisting an offender, the force added.

Marketing executive Ms Everard disappeared while walking home to Brixton, south London, from a friend's house in Clapham on 3 March.

Officers are currently searching properties in south London, and one in Deal, Kent, as well as an area of woodland in Ashford.

In addition to searches, police have also been making house-to-house enquiries in Clapham and Brixton.

The Met says it has received more than 120 calls from the public and has visited 750 homes in the area as part of the investigation.

In Clapham, police have cordoned off an area off the A205 near the Poynders Court housing complex, with forensic investigators examining the scene.

A car was seen being removed from the property in Freemans Way, Deal, with a tent erected outside and neighbours claiming police were digging up the garden.

Ms Everard's uncle, Nick Everard, told Sky News earlier that his family are "distraught" over her disappearance.

"Things are utterly dire," he said, but added that they were hoping and "waiting for positive news from the police".

Her family has described her disappearance as being "totally out of character" and said her phone was not ringing and WhatsApp messages were not getting through.

Ms Everard left her friend's property in Leathwaite Road, Clapham, at around 9pm last Wednesday before speaking to her partner on the phone for about 15 minutes, with the call ending at around 9.28pm.

The last known sighting of her in Clapham was captured on a doorbell camera.

It showed her walking alone along the A205 Poynders Road from the junction at Cavendish Road, toward Tulse Hill, which lies south of Brixton, at about 9.30pm.

She had not been seen or heard from since.

Watch: The simple hand signal that lets people know you're in danger - and other ways to ask for help