He was sat in his van talking to his girlfriend. Minutes later he was dead

The girlfriend of a man ran screaming for help after he was killed in front of her in a drive-by shooting.

Paul Pike, from Belle Vale, was behind the wheel of his red Ford transit van, on June 5, 2010, with his girlfriend as the passenger. As he stopped at red traffic lights, on Crosby Road North, Waterloo, near the Liver pub, a stolen silver Audi TT pulled up next to him, at around 11.20pm.

The next minute shots were fired from the Audi, hitting both the van and Paul multiple times. The car then sped off, before doubling back and firing additional shots at the 23-year-old.

READ MORE: Liverpool gangster Daniel Gee absconds from prison

READ MORE: Who is Daniel Gee? Gangster feared he would 'never see the light of day again'

Paul died from his injuries at the scene, however, his girlfriend managed to survive the assault and she fled from the van and ran, screaming for help into the Liver pub.

She suffered only minor cuts in the attack, caused by shattering from a window on the van. At the time, a police officer present at the murder scene said she was "extremely lucky" to have survived the attack.

The Audi TT was later discovered burnt out in Fairfield, off Endbutt Lane, following the incident on the evening of June 5, 2010. Now, 13 years post the shooting, his murderers remain at large.

The tribute by the Liver pub in Waterloo for Paul Pike
The tribute by the Liver pub in Waterloo for Paul Pike -Credit:Southport Visiter

Police have made 13 arrests in connection with the murder, but to date, no charges have been made. Merseyside Police once offered a £10,000 reward for information leading to a conviction in the case of Paul's murder, which is being treated as a targeted attack.

Although Paul was known to the police when he was killed, the true motive behind his murder remains a mystery. In 2011, a man and woman from Toxteth were sentenced to five years each for their connection to the Glock handgun used in Paul Pike's shooting, although they were not believed to be involved in the actual incident.

Previously Detective Superintendent Neil Bickley, who led the investigation, stated that there likely were multiple witnesses near the Liver Hotel pub and in the traffic queue at the lights at the time of the attack.

He added: "We know Mr Pike had been visiting friends in the Crosby area before the attack. We are still trying to piece together exactly where he had been and for how long."

In an update on May, 29, 2024 Kevin Clague, Head of the Serious Crime Review Unit, said: "It is 14 years since Paul Pike was murdered, and we continue to appeal for information so his family can get justice for his death. I know that considerable time has passed but no murder investigation is ever closed.

“Loyalties can change over time and we believe that there are people in the community who know the person responsible for his death. I would urge them to come forward and help us to get closure for his family.

“Any piece of information, however small, may be the key to finally solving this case. You can either contact us directly or anonymously via Crimestoppers and what you tell us will be treated with sensitivity and care, and in the strictest confidence.”

Anyone who can help the police with their investigation can contact 101, the police's social media desk @MerPolCC, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here