A schoogirl suffered an allergic reaction and died after eating a Pret a Manger baguette during a British Airways flight, her parents said.
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, collapsed during the flight from London Heathrow to Nice in July last year.
Her father, Nadim, the millionaire founder of WOW Toys, administered two EpiPen injections of adrenalin but Natasha died later in hospital.
The teenager, from Fulham, London, was allergic to sesame seeds and had eaten an artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette bought from Pret a Manger in Terminal 5, said the family’s solicitor.
An inquest opens tomorrow with the west London coroner expecting to hear from the sandwich shop chain staff and its health and safety chief.
A spokesman for Pret said: “We were deeply saddened to hear about Natasha’s tragic death, and our heartfelt thoughts are with her family and friends. We take food allergies and how allergen information is provided to our customers extremely seriously. We will to do all we can to assist the inquest.”
It is believed sesame was baked into the bread rather than containing seeds on the crust, a Pret spokesman told the BBC. Pret warns customers with potential allergies to speak to staff.
Her father said: “We are still trying to adjust to life without our beloved girl. The pain is indescribable. Everything is a reminder that she isn’t with us; her empty bedroom, school uniform hanging in her wardrobe. Her bag packed for the holiday in Nice has never been unpacked. We can’t bear to.”