Schoolgirl found dead on sofa hours after complaining of stomach pain

Shaylisha Morrison
-Credit: (Image: Family submitted)


A mum told of her heartbreak after finding her daughter dead on the sofa.

Shaylisha Morrison, 10, was found unresponsive at her family's home in Ainsworth, Bury, Greater Manchester, last month. Her mum Debbie said she believed her daughter was sleeping when her panicked husband called for her to "get an ambulance" as she was "not breathing".

Debbie had told her daughter to "get some sleep" the day before her death on May 30, after she became ill and began vomiting.

Within days of Shaylisha's sudden death, her twin sister Chardonnay was also rushed to hospital. Both girls have suffered with bowel problems since birth and Debbie believes the issues may be linked to Shaylisha's tragic death.

READ MORE: Missing Tenerife teenager Jay Slater's friend says 'there's something weird going on'

READ MORE: Man admits killing 'hero' schoolboy on East Lancs Road

Debbie told the MEN: "It was a huge shock. On the Tuesday, she was in school. She came home and we went shopping.

"She was running around B&M and playing hide and seek with her brother. We got home and she was chasing her brother round the house and playing with her sister."

"On Wednesday, out of the blue she started being sick and had the runs. On the Thursday, she was gone." The evening before her death, Debbie said Shaylisha was in "really bad pain" and experiencing aches to her back and stomach. Shaylisha struggled to sleep that night and was continuing to vomit the next day.

Her concerned parents lay her down on the sofa and urged her to "get some sleep". Shaylisha drifted off but when her father, Eddie, went to check on her later that evening, he found her unresponsive on the couch.

Debbie said: "I couldn't believe it. I thought she was playing games. My husband shouted "get an ambulance, she's not breathing". I picked her up and she just flopped. That's when I knew."

Shaylisha Morrison (right) with twin sister Chardonnay
Shaylisha Morrison (right) with twin sister Chardonnay -Credit:Family submitted

Ms Morrison rushed outside to ask for help and two neighbours attempted to perform CPR on Shaylisha. Paramedics then attended the address, but were unable to save Shaylisha.

Debbie said: "It still doesn't feel real, I still don't believe that she's gone. It's something I never in my life thought would happen."

Shaylisha and her twin sister were born prematurely and both suffered bowel problems following their birth, said Debbie. The sisters would often experience stomach ache and constipation, which Debbie fears may be linked to her daughter's death.

She said an initial post-mortem examination was unable to find a cause for Shaylisha's death. Debbie is now desperately seeking answers, with an inquest death due to open at Rochdale Coroners' Court on Friday (June 21).

As Debbie and her family attempted to come to terms with their loss, they were dealt a further blow when Chardonnay was admitted to hospital on June 3 - four days after Shaylisha's death. She has remained there ever since and is in a stable condition receiving treatment.

Debbie added: "I've been at the hospital 24 hours a day. I've not had time to grieve properly. It's a worry that it could happen to her. They both suffered with the same thing.

"It's a lot of anxiety and stress. I can't sleep properly, it's like I'm in a dream I can't get out of." Paying tribute to her daughter, Debbie described Shaylisha as a "happy little girl".

She added: "She was always smiling and wanting to help others. She was a lovely bubbly child. Her and her twin sister were inseparable, they did everything together."

Shaylisha's loved ones have since set up a fundraiser to help cover the cost of her funeral. Debbie said: "We're trying to give her the send off that she deserves. She always dreamed of being Elsa from Frozen so we wanted to get her white horses and a white carriage."

"I never thought I would have to plan a funeral for my own child. I would understand if we had a diagnosis and she was terminally ill. "We would have had time to come to terms with it but when all of a sudden she is gone, it's hard to even process that.""

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here