Scots toddler shocks doctors by learning to walk and talk after heart attack and stroke

A miracle Scots tot has astounded medics by learning to walk and talk after a cardiac arrest and complex surgery just days after he was born followed by a stroke.

Little Kayden John Thursby was born with the rare Unbalanced Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD) on December 8, 2022 and at just 11 days old was flown to specialists at Great Ormond Street in London where he had his first open heart surgery.

Just 24 hours after surgery the tot suffered a cardiac arrest before medics could finally close his chest in another operation on Christmas Day.

His worried mum Shannon Hamilton, 28, and brother Kian , 8, from Dumbarton feared the worst for the newborn and spent sleepless nights awaiting results as he spent months in hospital at the care of medics both in London and at the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow.

The tot returned home in February but the next month, tragedy struck again with the youngster suffering a stroke and more than 24 hours of seizures, leaving heartbroken Shannon praying for the best.

Shannon told the Record: "Last year Kayden became poorly again and had 25 hours of seizures before he was taken for CT scans and back into ICU where he was put on the ventilator again. My world had turned upside down again.

"Kayden had suffered a stroke, and I was told they never knew what the future would hold for him. It was a case of waiting and seeing what he would be like.

"On March 23 Scot Star flew to London and transferred us back to Glasgow, that was some experience, I was petrified on that small plane.

"Kayden has been a little superstar throughout this whole journey and we are so proud of him. Our little warrior.

"We have spent months in and out for appointments and hospital stays but have been making so many memories at home and little breaks away. He also celebrated his first birthday at home."

In a miraculous turnaround, the 18-month-old has now returned home with his family after another admission on Christmas Eve followed by yet another surgery.

She added: "Kayden was scheduled for his Glenn procedure on January 15 this year, however on Christmas Eve he was admitted to RHC with high temp and low oxygen.

"On Christmas day he had two unresponsive episodes and spent nearly two months in PICU as he was very poorly."

Kayden is still due to undergo further open-heart surgery but is now spending time with his family until he is strong enough for the procedure.

His astonishing development has impressed medics and he has now started to crawl, stand, and chatter to his big brother.

She added: "We are back home now waiting for the procedure. Kayden had learned how to crawl, and now there is no stopping him."

"He is just amazing, everyone loves him. He loves waving and giving thumbs up to everyone saying hello.

"The Glasgow staff are phenomenal and go above and beyond, from nurses to doctors I can't thank them enough and will be forever grateful for the care and support."

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.