Scottish mum issues warning after 'blindsiding' melanoma diagnosis

Adele Hughes was given the shock news a month before her 40th birthday
-Credit: (Image: Daily Record)

A Scottish mum was "blindsided" when she was diagnosed with melanoma, only a month before her 40th birthday.

Adele Hughes is now passionate about raising awareness of skin protection - urging young people to never use sunbeds. The mum-of-two, now three years cancer free, said her experience was "terrifying".

She's still under surveillance, with scans and check-ups every six months. Adele, 44, told the Daily Record : “I’d never wish anybody to go on that skin cancer journey.

READ MORE - Relatives of Edinburgh prisoner Peter Tobin 'refuse to act as killer's next of kin'

READ MORE - Anxious Edinburgh passenger's nut warning after BBC presenter 'kicked off flight'

“I had two young children when I was diagnosed in December, 2019, and being told I had cancer and that it had spread to my lymph nodes blindsided me.

“It felt terrifying and when I look back on months of treatment that included six surgeries and 18 cycles of immunotherapy treatment, I realise how difficult it has been.”

Sign up for Edinburgh Live newsletters for more headlines straight to your inbox

Despite being in remission, the Stonehaven primary school teacher is still under surveillance with scans and has check-ups every six months at Albyn Hospital in Aberdeen.

She said: “I hope I can encourage people to think about their sun habits, take precautions and to never use sunbeds.

Adele with daughter's Sienna, 12, and Elise, 10
Adele with daughter's Sienna, 12, and Elise, 10 -Credit:Daily Record

“As a mum, part of the routine in our house every morning is putting on sunscreen and we reapply sunscreen throughout the day so it remains effective.

“We need to educate parents and schools to get a message out there that it’s vital to protect your skin. That includes covering up with clothes, a wide brimmed hat and spending time in the shade, especially between 11am and 3pm.

“Melanoma is something that we can prevent and I think there’s so many steps we can take to prevent this from happening to people in the future.”