Sean Cox latest: Two Italian men charged over attack that left Liverpool fan fighting for life ahead of Roma match at Anfield

Fiona Simpson
Critically ill: Sean Cox: GoFundMe

Two Italian men have been charged in connection with an attack that left an Irish businessman fighting for life before Liverpool's Champions League clash with Roma .

Liverpool supporter Sean Cox , a 53-year-old father of three, suffered serious head injuries after being assaulted outside Anfield stadium on Tuesday.

He remains in hospital in a critical condition.

Filippo Lombardi, 20, has been charged with violent disorder and wounding/inflict grievous bodily harm.

Daniele Sciusco, 29, has been charged with violent disorder, police said.

They are currently being held by police and will appear in court today.

The force said in a statement: "We can confirm that detectives have charged two Italian men following an incident in Anfield on April 25 in which a 53-year-old man was seriously injured.

"Both men have been kept in custody to appear at South Sefton Magistrates Court this morning.

"The victim remains in hospital in a critical condition at Walton Neurological Centre."

Family members have flown from Dunboyne in Co Meath to maintain a bedside vigil at Walton Neurological Centre where Mr Cox remains in a critical condition.

Friend Damien O'Reilly, a local councillor, described Mr Cox as a role model and cornerstone of the community

He said: "He has done huge work locally. Sean is heavily involved in the community and the local GAA club.

"Everyone is just in shock and we are praying for a speedy recovery."

Other pals and fellow football fans have taken to social media to express their disgust at the attack and to wish Mr Cox well and a Go-Fund-Me page has been set up to help with medical bills and other costs.

It is understood Mr Cox had travelled with his brother for the semi-final clash between Liverpool and Roma at Anfield.

Liverpool Football Club said it was "shocked and appalled" by the incident and urged fans and those who attended the game to help Merseyside Police with their appeal for information.