Sean Lochrie admits breaking four-year-old girl's arms in suffocation attack at Paisley property

A man has admitted suffocating a young girl and breaking both of her arms in an attack that left her "shaking uncontrollably".

The four-year-old also suffered extensive bruising in the assault by Sean Lochrie at a property in Paisley, Renfrewshire, last year.

After attacking her, Lochrie phoned the police himself and the sound of a young girl "crying as if in pain" could be heard in the background, the High Court in Glasgow heard.

"Significant force" would have been needed to inflict such injuries, the court was also told.

The girl is still unable to talk about what happened, according to the prosecution.

When he appeared at the court on Thursday, Lochrie, 33, pleaded guilty to compressing the child's face and neck with his hands or by some other unknown means, suffocating her and restricting her breathing.

He admitted assaulting her to severe injury and to the danger of her life by seizing her, throwing her about, striking her on the head and body, or inflicting blunt force trauma to those areas by unknown means, on 28 and 29 October 2022.

The court heard Lochrie phoned police at around 3.15am on 29 October to report that he had just woken up and a female he did not know was lying on the floor.

When police were sent to investigate, officers said Lochrie appeared to be under the influence of an unknown substance.

The officers found the child in the bedroom of the property, with her arm in an unnatural position under her body.

Prosecutor Lorraine Glancy KC said the child "was shaking uncontrollably and tearful" when police arrived.

Read more from Sky News:
Man who murdered mother and toddler to appeal conviction

Doctors at the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow found she had two broken arms and extensive bruising, while her urine tested positive for cocaine - indicating that she had ingested it at the property.

Ms Glancy told the court the child "refuses to speak about the events of the night she was injured".

Iain McSporran KC, defending, said Lochrie did not remember what happened and pleaded guilty to the single charge at the earliest opportunity, describing him as a "broken man".

He added: "The only comfort to him is that the physical injuries have greatly healed."

Lord Weir told Lochrie he had pleaded guilty to an "extremely serious charge" and deferred sentence until 23 March at the High Court in Edinburgh.