Security guards 'pin shoplifting suspect to shopping centre floor' as onlookers shout 'he's turning blue'

This is the moment a suspected shoplifter is pinned to the floor by three security guards as an onlooker shouts “he's turning blue”.

South Yorkshire Police say they have arrested a man on suspicion of shoplifting at Frenchgate shopping centre. He was arrested after security guards at the Doncaster mall detained him.

Yorkshire Live understands the man is accused of becoming "violent" towards the security guards on duty. However, some shoppers who saw it unfold say they feared for the man's safety and even said he was turning blue - as can be heard in the video.

Read more: Nigel Farage pelted with wet cement in Barnsley during Reform UK campaign trail

Footage filmed at 5.30pm on Saturday, June 1, shows three security guards pinning the man to the ground outside Boots as onlookers can be heard shouting at them to “stop”.

At one point, a security guard can be seen with his hand on the man’s neck, as a voice off camera shouts: “Stop it, he’s turning blue.” The man on the floor appears to be bleeding throughout the video and can be heard shouting “help me”.

Get all the latest and breaking South Yorkshire news straight to your inbox by signing up to our newsletter here.

A number of concerned shoppers who have stopped can be seen watching on as the man recording the video begs the security guards “not to kill him”. Another member of security staff then attempts to stop the man from recording as he steps in front of him in order to block his view.

One of the security guards can be heard telling the man recording: “He’s just bit me, move away now”. The man was subsequently arrested by police on suspicion of theft and assault.

A spokesperson for South Yorkshire Police said: “We received a call for reports of shoplifting at the Frenchgate Centre in Doncaster on Saturday 1 June at 5.30pm.

“It is alleged that the man assaulted security staff within the centre during being detained. Officers attended and arrested a 26-year-old man on suspicion of theft from a shop and assault.”