An elderly man was attacked with a machete in Dusseldorf on Friday, hours after a similar attack by a mentally ill asylum seeker wielding an axe left nine people injured at the city's train station.
The 80-year-old machete victim, who has not been named, was rushed to hospital after being assaulted in a car park on the northern outskirts of Dusseldorf. His attacker remains at large.
Teachers and students at the nearby Theodor-Fliedner-Gymnasium were told to stay indoors, while police cordoned off a woodland area near Kalkumer Schlossallee, the site of the car park.
Hours before he was attacked, a 36-year-old man from Kosovo wounded nine passengers with an axe at Dusseldorf train station before trying to escape by jumping from a bridge onto a street, where he was arrested.
Prosecutors said the man, named locally as Fatmir H, came to Germany in 2009 and was granted temporary residency for humanitarian reasons.
"I have experienced a lot, but I have never experienced anything like this," said one eye witness of the axe rampage.
"We were standing on the track, waiting for the train. The train came, and suddenly someone jumped out with an axe, hit the people. There was blood everywhere."
Footage showed terrified commuters fleeing the scene.
One passenger, Bruno Macedo, was tweeting as the attack unfolded. "Man with axe chased by police in Dusseldorf. Station closed. I am in the train things look bad," he wrote, adding: "Stay away from #Dusseldorf train station crazy man with #axe on the lose [sic]."
The spate of violent attacks have raised fresh terror fears in Germany, where less than three months ago a Tunisian jihadist plowed a truck into a Christmas market stall in Berlin, killing 12 people.
German police also disclosed on Friday that the train station axe-attacker Fatmir H suffered from psychological problems.
Medical documents found at the man's home in the nearby city of Wuppertal indicated that the suspect had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, said Dietmar Kneip, a senior police official.
Among the nine people he injured on Thursday night was a 13-year-old girl and two Italian tourists. Three of the victims remain in a serious condition.
Fatmir H was seriously injured when he jumped from the bridge in his escape attempt, breaking several bones, and he has also been hospitalised.
He will be charged with nine counts of attempted manslaughter, prosecutors said.
Police refused to refer to either incident as being a "terrorist attack" or a "rampage," adding that in both cases Islamic extremism is not suspected as a motive.
The attacks came as Germany’s lower house of parliament approved tougher anti-terror measures amid widespread public safety concerns, which will make it easier for private firms to install CCTV in public areas such as shopping centres.
Germany’s data protection act was also updated to include a key amendment that places greater emphasis on the protection of life, freedom and health.
The act, which has historically valued privacy, will make it more difficult for privacy advocates to block any future surveillance measures.
German lawmakers also voted to introduce bodycams - small cameras that police officers will wear directly on their clothing.
In a country where bad memories of Communist-era state surveillance remain, Germany and many of its citizens now put a high premium on protecting privacy - but a spate of violent attacks in 2016 has forced a change in attitudes.
Strengthening Germany’s security has been a key priority for German politicians following a number of high-profile attacks including the New Year's Eve 2015 sexual assaults in Cologne and an axe attack aboard a train near Würzburg.
The new measures will allow police to install new surveillance systems able to scan license plate numbers, which supporters say will make it easier to search for missing vehicles. But critics say the new laws impinge on fundamental freedoms without any guaranteed security gains.