Visitors to Shanghai’s Disney resort have been trapped inside after authorities announced a sudden Covid-19 lockdown.
The resort said on Monday morning it would immediately shut the main theme park and surrounding areas including its shopping street until further notice to comply with virus curbs.
The Shanghai authorities said they were barring people from entering or exiting and that all visitors will need to wait for the results of their tests before they can leave.
Anyone who has visited the park since October 27 will need to take three Covid tests over the next three days, officials said.
Some rides continued to operate for those stuck in the park on Monday, social media users reported.
A Shanghai Disney Resort spokesperson said the resort was still operating “limited offerings” and that they were following measures in line with guidelines from Chinese health authorities.
Shanghai reported 10 locally transmitted Covid-19 cases on October 30, all of which it said were people without symptoms.
It marks the latest disruption for the Shanghai Disney Resort, which was shut for over three months during Shanghai’s lockdown earlier this year.
The park was also closed for two days last November, with more than 30,000 visitors stuck inside after authorities ordered all of them to be tested in a contact tracing exercise.
Videos circulating on China’s Weibo platform on Monday showed people rushing to the park’s gates, which were already locked.
Local authorities across China have continued to impose extreme measures to combat virus transmission in line with their zero-tolerance approach towards Covid-19.