Mel B was reportedly granted a temporary restraining order earlier this week, after claiming that Belafonte had physically abused and sexually exploited her during their relationship.
Belafonte has since denied the allegations, which he described as "outrageous" and "unfounded" and labelled a "smear campaign".
Appearing on The Talk on Wednesday (April 5), Sharon praised Mel as a "good girl and great mother".
"She works her bum off," Sharon added (via People). "It's so easy to say, you know, I would just run away, that's what I would do.
"But in a situation she's been in for 10 years, it's not just physical, it's mental abuse, too."
Referring to when Mel was forced to miss a live final during her time as an X Factor judge, Sharon said: "Three years ago...she didn't make the first day and she was in the hospital.
"And she came back for the final day and she had a black eye and bruising everywhere, but she made the final."
At the time, Mel B and Belafonte were forced to deny reports of a violent incident and he slammed the rumours as "disgusting".
"I had nothing to do with hurting my wife. I did not touch Mel. I didn't hit her," he said.
Mel also spoke out against the allegations shortly after, reassuring fans: "For the record my hubby never would lay a hand on me."
You Might Also Like
- Emmerdale: 16 new spoiler pictures as Ross blackmails Robert and Victoria hopes she's pregnant
- Coronation Street: 24 new spoiler pictures as Sally's troll ordeal escalates and Peter is arrested