Body camera footage captured by a Hancock County Sheriff’s Department officer in Greenfield, Indiana, shows Bryan Kohberger, the man accused of murdering four University of Idaho students, being pulled over for tailgating on December 15.
The stop occurred about 10 minutes before Kohberger was pulled over again by a different law enforcement agency for the same offense.
The video recently released by the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department shows the December 15 traffic stop. In the footage, Kohberger tells the officer that he is traveling from Washington State University, where he says he works, to Pennsylvania.
Local news outlets reported that the traffic stop seen in the video took place just before an Indiana State Police officer pulled over the vehicle approximately ten minutes later. The passenger is “believed to be his father,” WTHR reported.
Both authorities said that they stopped the white Hyundai because it was following too close behind vehicles on the interstate. In both traffic stops the officers let Kohberger off with a verbal warning, the footage shows.
Kohberger was arrested in Pennsylvania on December 30. University of Idaho students Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin were fatally stabbed at a house near the campus in the early morning hours of November 13. Credit: Hancock County Sheriff’s Department via Storyful
- How you doing?
- How y'all doing today? Good, good. Take a look at your driver's license real quick if I could.
- See you was right up on that van, man.
- You right up on the back end of that van. Pulled you over for tailgating. Is this your car? OK, cool. Where are you headed?
- Well, we coming from WSU.
- What's WSU?
- [INAUDIBLE] Basically.
- So we're-- OK, I'm having a hard time hearing you because the traffic. You're coming from Washington State University. And you're going where?
- Oh, we're gonna to be going to Pennsylvania.
- Oh, OK.
- We're a little-- we're slightly punchy. We've been driving for hours.
- Hours, days.
- We're driving [INAUDIBLE].
- OK. And what do you say about some SWAT team thing or?
- Yeah, there was the mass shooting and everything.
- Well, it's horrifying because, this is the [INAUDIBLE]
- So you all work at the University there?
- I actually do work there.
- OK. Yeah, I hadn't heard about that incident. Just yesterday or?
- No, it just happened about an hour and a half ago. They're still wrapping it up. I was not sure [INAUDIBLE], but they did shoot somebody.
- I see.
- And then I don't know about that, actually.
- Interesting. Well, OK. So do me a favor, don't follow too close, OK?
- Oh of course.
- All right.
- Thank you. Appreciate you.