Shop owner in hospital after explosion 'grateful' for support as investigation continues

·3-min read
(Images: Martin McSweeney).
(Images: Martin McSweeney).

A SHOP owner who was hospitalised after an explosion has expressed her gratitude for the support she has recieved. 

Emergency services rushed to Green Street, Strathaven, at around 12am on Thursday, following reports of a fire.

Ann Davidson, the owner of Ann Davidson Butchers, which was destroyed by the blaze, was one of three people taken to hospital.

Her friend Les Hoggan updated her customers on Facebook.

READ MORE: Major fire breaks out in Strathaven's Green Street

He wrote: "This post is on behalf of Ann Davidson Butchers. Ann phoned me from the hospital and is very grateful for all of the messages she has received since the fire.

"She is also keen to look at how she can re-establish her business and asks if anyone knows of suitable premises that are available that would allow her to make a fresh start in Strathaven whilst the Green Street premises are assessed to send me a message and I will pass on contact details for Ann.

"Thank you in advance for your help."

The others taken to hospital were two men, aged 67 and 55.

Two residential properties were also affected by the blaze.

Laura, the owner of Strathaven Flower Shop, revealed she was "overwhelmed" by the number of messages and offers of help she has received.

Her business' building was also damaged as a result of the explosion.

In a post on Facebook on Saturday, she wrote: "I have been truly overwhelmed by the number of lovely messages and offers of help and support from so many people. Thank you all so much.

"It was with great shock and sadness that I discovered what had happened via Facebook in the early hours of Friday morning. I was so sorry to hear that Ann and a member of her staff had been injured in the blaze, but my very best wishes go out to them for a full and speedy recovery.

"I’ve still not been allowed access to my shop so have not been able to assess the damage myself.

"I’m feeling sad and a bit overwhelmed at this whole tragic event, the consequences of which are just now beginning to sink in. However, it’s bricks and mortar that can in time be fixed and sorted out.

"I am so grateful that neither myself nor my lovely co-worker was not in the shop when this tragic event happened. Things could have been much worse. I hope to be back in action again soon but only time will tell how long that will take."

READ MORE: Celtic player charged with alleged offence after 'incident' in Glasgow, police reveal

A joint investigation into the explosion is ongoing.

​A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "Around 12am on Thursday, August 12, police were called to reports of an explosion and a fire at a premises on Green Street in Strathaven.

“A 67-year-old man and 47-year-old woman were taken by ambulance to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow for treatment.

“Another 55-year-old man was taken to University Hospital Wishaw for treatment.

"The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service extinguished the fire and a joint investigation into the circumstances is ongoing."