Shopworker 'stabbed to death' as six people knifed overnight across London

Joe Gamp
Contributor, Yahoo News UK
Police have launched a murder investigation after a shopworker was stabbed to death at a newsagent in Pinner on Sunday morning (PA)

Police have launched a murder investigation after a shopworker was ‘stabbed to death’ during a robbery at a newsagent in north-west London.

The shopworker is said to have been attacked as he opened Marsh Food and Wine in Pinner on Sunday morning.

Scotland Yard said the shop’s till was stolen and may have been discarded by the suspect.

Detectives are appealing for witnesses who may have seen a black Vauxhall Astra driving away at high speed immediately after the stabbing.

Six more people were reportedly stabbed across the capital this weekend.

It comes as the number of homicides in London rose to 29 so far this year.

The shopworker victim, who is yet to be identified, died on the scene at around 6.45am on Sunday morning (PA)

Officers were called to the scene on Marsh road at around 6am and the victim was pronounced dead around 45 minutes later, police said.

The Metropolitan Police have released no further details about the man but said inquiries were under way to identify him and inform his next of kin.

Detective Chief Inspector Simon Stancombe said: ‘I am appealing to anyone who was in the area around Marsh Lane this morning and saw anything of interest to contact police.

‘This was a violent robbery that has escalated, resulting in the murder of a man.

Police believe the incident was a ‘violent robbery that escalated’ (PA)

He went on: ‘It appears the till was stolen from the shop during this robbery and this may have been discarded by the suspect. If you have come across this, we want to hear from you.

‘I am particularly keen to hear from anyone who saw a black Vauxhall Astra that was driven away at speed south down Cecil Park immediately after the attack.

‘We think that car was parked in Cecil Park prior to the murder – if you saw this, or have any other information that could help us progress this investigation, I would urge you to get in contact.’

Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward (PA)

A large section of Marsh Road had been cordoned off on Sunday while police conduct forensic examinations outside Marsh Food and Wine and a branch of Costa Coffee.

Local business owner Peter Brook, 55, said: ‘When someone actually violates your community, people will be shocked.

‘I know the other traders I’ve spoken to are thinking ‘there but for the grace of God go the rest of us.’

Mr Brook said there were a few employees from the newsagent’s who delivered the morning papers to local businesses, all of whom he said are “kind, polite and so committed to working in the local community”.

A large portion of Marsh Road has been cordoned off while police conduct investigations (PA)

One resident described the area as “lovely”, but said she was not shocked by the news as such incidents are “happening in all areas”.

Mary MacNamara, who has lived in the area for four years, said: “We all see what’s going on generally and it (such crime) seems to be happening in all areas.

‘It’s happening every day. Nobody does anything about it.’

Local MP Nick Hurd said police are making house-to-house inquiries.

He tweeted: “Deeply saddened to hear of a fatal stabbing in Marsh Road #Pinner earlier this morning . Area cordoned off; police conducting house to house enquiries and reassurance patrols.”

The total number of homicides has risen to 29 since the beginning of the year (PA)

Elsewhere, during a night of violence in the capital, a second man in his mid 40s is in a critical condition after being found with stab wounds in Dalston lane, north east London, at around 3.15am.

A 13-year-old boy was rushed to hospital after being found stabbed on St Matthew’s Road in Brixton, south London.

His condition is not thought to be life threatening.

Two men, believed to be in their late teens or early 20s, were found with knife wounds on Harrow Road, Westminster, while another was found with head injuries.

Shortly before 8.30pm, a sixth man also thought to be in his 20s, was admitted to hospital with non life-threatening injuries after he was stabbed in Barkingside, north-east London.