2ND UPDATE SUNDAY 6:30 PM: Simon Cowell was in good spirits on Sunday night in his first public comments after the surgery to repair his broken back following an electric bike accident. In a message posted on Twitter and Instagram series of tweets, he shared “some good advice” on safely using an electric bicycle and thanked the medical team involved in his care.
UPDATE SUNDAY AM: Simon Cowell is recuperating after undergoing back surgery following an electric bike accident.
More from Deadline
- Simon Cowell To Skip 'America's Got Talent' Live Shows While Recovering From Back Surgery
- 'America's Got Talent' Anniversary Special Tops Tuesday Ratings; 'DC's Stargirl' Viewership Rises
- Gabrielle Union Slams Terry Crews Again For His Statements On Her 'AGT' Battle And Black Lives Matter; He Apologizes - Update
“He broke his back in a few places,” a spokesperson for Cowell said in a statement to Deadline. “They operated overnight, the surgery went well, and he is in the hospital recovering.”
According to sources quoted by People, the surgery lasted five hours, and the America’s Got Talent judge “has had to have a number of fusions and metal rod put into his back.”
PREVIOUS SATURDAY 8:50 PM: Simon Cowell landed in the hospital Saturday after an accident with his electric bicycle left him with a back injury.
Reps for the America’s Got Talent judge first told People that the accident happened Saturday afternoon as Cowell was testing the vehicle at his Malibu home with family. The TV personality is doing fine, reps told Deadline
“Simon had a fall from his bike on Saturday afternoon whilst testing his new electric bike in the courtyard at his house in Malibu with his family,” a spokesperson for the AGT and The X-Factor creator said. “He hurt his back and was taken to the hospital. He’s doing fine, he’s under observation and is in the best possible hands.”
The spokesperson added that “Simon has broken his back and will undergo surgery this evening.”
Deadline has reached out to NBC and Fremantle for comment how the surgery would impact Cowell’s duties on America’s Got Talent, which is currently in production. The first live show is scheduled for Tuesday, Aug. 11.
In July it was announced that Cowell will take full control of AGT and The X Factor producer Syco Entertainment. The takeover comes after he agreed to buy out Sony Music Entertainment’s stake in the joint venture.
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: New Cases Break Record 70,000 For The First Time; Infections Up 40% Since Early July
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto