Sinead O’Connor apologises for ‘lashing out’ after son’s death

·2-min read
Sinead O’Connor pictured in 2011 (Getty Images)
Sinead O’Connor pictured in 2011 (Getty Images)

Sinead O’Connor has apologised for “lashing out” at the health services in Ireland after the death of her 17-year-old son.

Officers recovered Shane O’Connor’s body in the Bray area of Wicklow on Friday following a huge police search.

The 55-year-old singer took to Twitter on Monday to say she was “deeply sorry” for criticising the Irish state after the tragic death of her son.

Shane O’Connor (@OhSineady Twitter)
Shane O’Connor (@OhSineady Twitter)

She wrote: “Ok, I’m gonna do the right thing here and apologise for my lashing out. Tusla are working with very limited resources.

“They loved Shane. They are broken hearted. They are human. I am sorry I have upset them. We are a third world country. It’s not their fault.”

She added: “The issue is... We are a third world country. We have 12 beds in special care for suicidal teenagers. And no resources to save those who can’t manage life. 128 icu beds in the whole country.

“Tusla did their best. We all did: and I am deeply sorry to have blamed anyone.”

O’Connor also shared details about the plans for her son’s funeral.

She said it will be attended only by herself and Shane’s father, Irish folk musician Donal Lunny, as per her son’s wishes which were “expressed in his suicide notes”.

It comes after the singer condemned the Irish state, child and family agency Tusla and Tallaght Hospital in a series of tweets posted on Saturday.

“I have now formally identified the remains of my son, Shane. May God forgive the Irish State for I never will,” she wrote.

She added: “26 hours after my son died in the so called care of the Irish State in the form of Tusla, I have yet to receive any contact from Tusla or their representatives. I was informed by Gardai of my son’s death and later I spoke with the GAL. No contact from Tusla is unacceptable.”

Shane had been reported missing two days before his dead.

O’Connor had previously said he was “on suicide watch” at the Tallaght Hospital.

The Standard has approached child and family agency Tusla and Tallaght Hospital for further comment.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting