Sir David Amess: Horse-drawn carriage to lead procession ahead of funeral

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Sir David Amess (PA)
Sir David Amess (PA)

A horse-drawn carriage is set to lead a procession through Southend next week in tribute to murdered MP Sir David Amess.

The event is taking place ahead of a service in honour of the fallen politician being held at St Mary’s Church in Prittlewell on November 22 at 1pm.

A huge turnout is expected and locals have been warned about possible road closures.

Sir David, 69, was stabbed to death at Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex on October 15.

His funeral is to be held at Westminster Cathedral on November 23.

John Lamb, Conservative councillor for West Leigh, told the Liverpool Echo that he expects it to be a fitting tribute to the late MP.

He said: “We know a borough service will be held on November 22 at 1pm at St Mary’s Church in Prittlewell. Details and plans are still going through.

“We have been talking to the family and what they want and have got the right people involved. It will be a joint service with the Roman Catholic Church and Church of England. The route will be advertised and there will be stop points so people can pay their respects.

“There probably will be road closures and there will be a horse-drawn hearse so we will need road closures. It will be a fitting service to Sir David.”

A message from the Pope will be delivered at a Westminster service to remember the MP.

The Archbishop of Westminster, Cardinal Vincent Nichols, will preside while Archbishop Claudio Gugerotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain, will deliver a message from Pope Francis.

The Roman Catholic Priest for Parliament, Canon Pat Browne, will give the homily.

Cathedral choristers and choirs from Southend, including the Leigh Orpheus and the Music Man Project, will sing.

It comes as the man accused of murdering the Conservative politician faces a trial in March.

Ali Harbi Ali, 25, appeared via video link from maximum security HMP Belmarsh last month for his first appearance at the Old Bailey.

Ali, from Kentish Town, has not entered any pleas to the charges of murder and preparation of terrorist acts.

A provisional trial date for the case has been identified for March 7 next year.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting