Croydon attack: eight more in court over assault on teenage asylum seeker

Nadia Khomami
The Shrublands area of Croydon in London, where the teenager was attacked. Photograph: Neil Hall/Reuters

Eight more people, including a 15-year-old boy, have appeared in court charged with violent disorder, in connection with an attack on a teenage asylum seeker in south London.

Reker Ahmed, a 17-year-old Kurdish-Iranian who arrived unaccompanied in the UK a few months ago, was seriously injured in the assault near a bus stop in Croydon on Friday.

On Monday, he was expected to be moved from intensive care to a mainstream ward as his condition was no longer thought to be life-threatening.

Two friends of Reker sustained minor injuries.

At Croydon magistrates court on Tuesday, Liam Neylen, 19, Ellie Leite, 19, Kyran Evans, 23, all from Croydon, and James Neves, 22, of Beckenham, south-east London, spoke only to confirm their names, addresses and dates of birth. They were charged with violent disorder.

Ben Harman, 20, from Croydon, was charged with violent disorder and dangerous driving. A 15-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl – both from the Croydon area – were charged with violent disorder.

A third youth, a 17-year-old boy from the Croydon area, was charged with violent disorder and wounding with intent.

All eight defendants were granted conditional bail and are due at Croydon crown court on 2 May.

Up to 30 people were involved in the suspected hate crime that left the victim with a fractured spine, a fractured eye socket and a bleed on his brain.

Sixteen arrests have been made in the investigation. On Monday, Daryl Davis, 20, Danyelle Davis, 24, Barry Potts, 20, George Walder, 20, and Jack Walder, 24, appeared in court charged with violent disorder.

George Walder was also charged with racially aggravated grievous bodily harm. Potts, Jack Walder and siblings Danyelle and Daryl Davis were released on conditional bail. George Walder was remanded in custody.

DCI Jane Corrigan said the victim had no family in the UK and detectives were trying to track down his relatives in Iran. Police said he had a legal guardian and went to school in Croydon.

Police are asking anyone with video footage of the incident to contact them.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes