After six years, abandoned Blackpool police station could finally be demolished

Blackpool’s former police station could finally be demolished this autumn after closing six years ago when officers moved to new headquarters.

The magistrates courts, which are part of the same complex, will also be bulldozed after they closed permanently in January this year when crumbling concrete was discovered in the building. In recent months the empty Bonny Street police station has become a target for anti-social behaviour with warnings given in April that intruders were putting themselves at risk.

Clearance of the site will pave the way for investment in leisure facilities including hotels and indoor theme parks by developer Nikal. A report to the council’s Audit Committee, which is due to meet on Thursday, June 13, says demolition can now proceed following the opening of the multi-storey car park on the site.


It says: “Now this work is complete the next stage is to start the demolition of the old court/police station. This is currently scheduled to take place in September 2024 which will then clear the ground for the next stage of the Blackpool Central project.

“Meanwhile, negotiations are ongoing with the developer on moving forward with the leisure development on the site. Planning permission is in place for the court’s relocation with work on the build planned to start later this year.”

The council is currently looking for a contractor for the demolition work. In April the police said they had received a “significant amount of calls” in relation to anti-social behaviour at the empty courts and police station.

Reports included assault, burglary, criminal damage and “significant criminal damage and arson”.

Police warned some youths exploring the abandoned buildings were putting themselves at risk from disturbed asbestos, decaying concrete, collapsing roofs and floors, and exposed electrics. Bonny Street police station closed to the public in October 2018 following the move to a new divisional headquarters on Clifton Road, Marton.

Blackpool Magistrates Court was shut permanently after it was decided it was too costly to repair following the discovery of RAAC (reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete).

Work is due to begin later this year to build a new courthouse on the site of the former Devonshire Road Hospital which will take around two years to complete. Court hearings are currently being held at alternative venues in Lancashire.