A horrific massacre; outrage, sadness; calls for reform; and then — nothing. This is our nation’s “doleful ritual” in the wake of yet another mass shooting. In the wake of the mass murder in Atlanta, another community is now in mourning, and an aggrieved and bewildered nation again begins a conversation about possible legislative answers.
In this episode, Mayor Sam Weaver of Boulder speaks with , and about what his city has gone through and how it will be part of the gun control conversation to come. Then, Rep. Elissa Slotkin, D-Mich., joins to talk about the politicization of gun reform, about whether we need new laws or agencies to tackle the rising threat of domestic terrorism, and about reviewing a close election in Iowa.
Mayor Sam Weaver (), mayor of Boulder, Colo.
Rep. Elissa Slotkin (), U.S. congresswoman, D-Mich., chair of subcommittee on intelligence and counterterrorism
Michael Isikoff (), chief investigative correspondent, Yahoo News
Daniel Klaidman (), editor in chief, Yahoo News
Victoria Bassetti (), fellow, Brennan Center for Justice
by Jennifer McRae, CBS Denver (March 24, 2021)
by Tim Dickinson, Rolling Stone (March 23, 2021)
by Tia Sewell, Lawfare (March 24, 2021)
Follow us on Twitter:
Listen and subscribe to “Skullduggery” on , , or wherever you get your podcasts.
The risk of suffering a serious blood clot after the AstraZeneca jab has doubled in a fortnight, new figures show, but the British regulator said the benefits still outweigh the risks for the vast majority of people. New data from the Medical Healthcare products and Regulatory Agency (MHRA) show cases have risen from 79 to 168 since April 8, and deaths from 19 to 32. The risk of getting a blood clot has also gone up from one in 250,000 to around one in 126,600 – or a rise of four in a million to 7.9 in a million. Earlier this month the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) advised that under-30s should be offered an alternative to the Oxford jab, because the risk no longer outweighed the benefits for younger people. A source close to JCVI said the committee would be reviewing the new data carefully this week, to assess whether the risk is also still worth the benefit for older groups now that the chance of getting a blood clot has risen.
Daughter of Trevor Phillips dies after 22-year anorexia struggleSister writes that Sushila, 36, a freelance journalist, was ‘a best friend and an inspiration’ Broadcaster and anti-racism campaigner Trevor Phillips with his daughter Sushila in 1999. Photograph: Nigel Howard/Evening Standard/Rex/Shutterstock
The Pakistan Taliban claimed responsibility Thursday for a deadly bomb blast at a luxury hotel hosting the Chinese ambassador in the southwest of the country, as officials raised the death toll to five.
Extinction Rebellion protesters used hammers and chisels to shatter windows at HSBC’s headquarters in London’s Canary Wharf on April 22.According to the group, nine women took part in the protest, which was scheduled for 7 am.Extinction Rebellion said they were protesting the bank’s climate plan. The plan “still allows the bank to finance coal power, and provides no basis to turn away clients or cancel contracts based on links to the fossil fuel industry,” the group said.A spokesperson for HSBC was quoted by the BBC as saying: “We welcome meaningful dialogue on our climate strategy; however, we cannot condone vandalism or actions that put people and property at risk.”The bank says it is aiming to bring financed emissions to net-zero by 2050. Credit: William Watson/Extinction Rebellion UK via Storyful
Italian police have arrested a man suspected of supplying a weapon to the attacker who rammed a truck into a Bastille Day crowd in the southern French city of Nice in 2016, killing 86 people. The man, identified as Endri E, is a 28-year-old Albanian suspected of having supplied a gun to Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, the Tunisian who carried out the attack on 14 July 2016, France's Bastille Day national holiday.Police arrested the suspect at Sparanise, near the southern city of Naples, acting on a European arrest warrant issued by France.The arrest comes after the Paris appeal court in March ordered eight people to stand trial for their alleged role in the 2016 attack.That trial is scheduled to open in 2022.Perpetrator shot dead at the wheel of attack vehicleBouhlel himself was shot dead by police at the wheel of the vehicle he had used to kill people as they celebrated the holiday on Nice's waterfront. More than 400 people were injured.The Nice attack came less than a year after the Bataclan assault in November 2015 in which 130 people lost their lives in bombings and shootings across the French capital.The Islamic State terrorist organisation claimed responsibility for the Nice attack. Investigators have found no evidence that Bouhlel had sworn allegiance to the jihadist group.
‘World’s worst outbreak’: what India’s papers say as coronavirus crisis toll mounts. Newspapers warn that the situation shows no sign of improving, and calls on warring politicians to cooperate to beat the virus
India has reported more than 300,000 new coronavirus cases in a 24-hour period - the biggest one-day total seen anywhere in the world since the pandemic began. The country's health ministry said there had been 314,835 new cases on Thursday, a number that passes the previous record - 297,430 in the US in January. The previous day, India had reported 295,041 new COVID-19 cases.
Britain's parliament called on Wednesday for the government to take action to end what lawmakers described as genocide in China's Xinjiang region, stepping up pressure on ministers to go further in their criticism of Beijing. But Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government again steered clear of declaring genocide over what it says are "industrial-scale" human rights abuses against the mainly Muslim Uighur community in Xinjiang. So far the government has imposed sanctions on some Chinese officials and introduced rules to try to prevent goods linked to the region entering the supply chain, but a majority of lawmakers want ministers to go further.
Indian actor Farhan Akhtar has questioned the Serum Institute of India [SII] on why it was providing the Covidshield vaccine at different prices across the country. Another Indian actor named Sonu Sood also took to Twitter to state how every needy person “should get the vaccine for free.”