Advertisement

Small Fire Occurs at Enterprise High School

ENTERPRISE, Ala. (WDHN) — An early-morning fire broke out at Enterprise High School’s field house earlier today.

It occurred in the structure’s equipment room, which houses athletic material such as helmets and shoulder pads for their football team.

Principal Stan Sauls says fire personnel told him it broke out after clothing taken out of the dryer on Thursday combusted.

Sauls says the school uses industrial-sized machines for laundry. He adds the dried clothes, which were in a hamper, had a miniscule amount of oil in them from the material they were made of. Sauls says despite that fact, fire department personnel told him that type of fire is very rare.

He estimates the clothes combusted around 4 a.m. Friday.

Sprinklers immediately extinguished the fire. He says the impact is limited to fire-related clothing damage and some smoke and water damage to some equipment and tile.

No structural damage or injuries occurred, and SERVPRO will make repairs tomorrow. While Sauls says the burned clothes are a low cost, the school will know the total cost after SERVPRO finishes their repairs.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to WDHN - wdhn.com.