Sophia Floersch crash: Terrifying moment F3 racing driver's car flies through the air into media area

Ella Wills
The car lost control around a bend: Twitter

This is the terrifying moment a teenage Formula 3 racing driver flew over the barriers into a media area in a high speed crash that left five injured.

Germany's Sophia Floersch was left with a fractured spine and four others were hospitalised following the major incident at the Macau Grand Prix, race organisers said on Sunday.

The 17-year-old, who drives in the F3 European Championship with Van Amersfoort Racing, lost control of her car into the Lisboa bend at 171.6mph, according to reports.

Floersch confirmed she will undergo surgery in a tweet this morning.

Footage of the incident surfaced online showing the true extent on the crash. The teenager's car loses control going into a bend before flying through the air and crashing backwards into a fence.

Floersch, who has links with Mercedes AMG F1's young driver program, tweeted an update to her followers saying that she was "fine" despite the heavy impact.

"Just wanted to let everybody know that I am fine but will be going into surgery tomorow (sic) morning," she posted on Twitter.

German driver Sophia Floersch during the 65th Macau Grand Prix (EPA)

"Thanks to the @fia and @hwaag_official @MercedesAMGF1 who are taking great care of me. Thanks to everybody for the supporting messages. Update soon."

The FIA, the motor racing governing body which presides over F3, confirmed in a statement on Sunday morning that Floersch and another driver, Sho Tsuboi of Japan, were taken to a local hospital along with two members of the media and a race marshal.

It read: "A serious incident has occurred on lap 4 of the 2018 FIA F3 World Cup at Macau involving car #25 Sophia Flörsch (GER).

"Following evaluation by medical staff, the driver is conscious and has subsequently been taken to hospital for further evaluation.

"The driver of car #31 Sho Tsuboi (JPN), as well as two members of the media and one marshal, were also transferred to a local hospital in a conscious state for further evaluation."