Fire officials in South Dakota have warned residents to ensure their gas meters don’t become buried in snow after two explosions at houses in Lake County were found to be caused by excessive snow covering meters.
The City of Madison Fire Department released this footage on March 12 of a home explosion in Wentworth the previous day. No one was home during the explosion and no injuries were reported, local media reported.
The fire department said they responded to two house explosions over the past month that were caused by excessive snow on meters.
“Large amounts of snow can put heavy weight and pressure on the pipes which ultimately causes them to break and fail,” the City of Madison Fire Department wrote on Facebook. "In both home explosions, there was 10+ ft or more of snow on the gas meter.
“Another issue is snow clogging the vent on the regulator which can cause a build up of pressure which can cause gas to leak into a home,” the fire department wrote. “There is no reasonable amount of snow that should be on your gas meter. Clean them as best as you can.” Credit: Broadwater Bar via Storyful