Spanish police issue Jay Slater update as search for missing Brit continues

Spanish police are investigating the disappearance of Jay Slater
-Credit: (Image: Stan Kujawa)


Spanish authorities have not lost hope in the search for missing teenager Jay Slater. A source close to the investigation has made it clear that they do not believe Jay is "missing feared dead". The police are actively following several leads in their quest to find him.

When questioned about any progress in the case, a Civil Guard spokesperson stated: "The investigation is ongoing and several lines of inquiry are being pursued."

The 19-year-old from Oswaldtwistle, Lancs, disappeared three weeks ago after he was last seen at a rave in Playa de las Americas, Tenerife.

Jay's family has expressed their frustration with the local police's efforts, feeling there has been insufficient action taken, especially after the official search was halted after two weeks. They are also perplexed by the swift dismissal of two individuals who had driven Jay to a secluded Airbnb near Masco, who were then allowed to return to the UK, reports the Mirror.

Warren, Jay's father, along with his brother Zak, have taken it upon themselves to scour the dangerous mountainous area where Jay's phone was last active. On July 8, Warren issued an appeal to British officials for assistance in locating his son.

However, Lancashire police have confirmed that their stance remains unchanged and they will not be sending officers to join the search.

The search for the missing teenager has been met with offers of assistance from the force, but local authorities have so far declined their help. Speaking to The Mirror in Santiago del Teidi, a village overshadowed by the mountains where Jay vanished, Warren shared details of their expanded search efforts.

They've moved beyond the Valley of Barranco de Juan Lopez, where Jay's phone signal was last detected, to the adjacent Los Carrizales valley.

Warren expressed the enormity of the task, suggesting it could take an army a decade to comb through the vast and challenging mountainous area. He recounted how they had embarked on "two wild goose chases" to derelict buildings in hopes of finding Jay.

The apprentice bricklayer went missing on the Spanish island on 17 June.

Jay was last seen departing from an Airbnb located in the north of the island, near the small village of Masca. He had been vacationing with friends Lucy, 18, and Brad Hargreaves, 19, and had spent time at the Papagayo nightclub in Playa de las Americas before his disappearance.

He left the club with two British men to return to their accommodation.

Missing Jay Slater
Missing Jay Slater -Credit:Instagram

Despite the passing days, Warren stated that there has been no new information from the Spanish police. The family is eager for British officers to question the two men who accompanied Jay back to the Airbnb.

Warren stressed the need for a full family press conference to request more support: "We need to, as a full family, do a proper press conference and ask the British authorities to help. He's a British citizen. Get Interpol involved," he urged.

Warren explained: "It's just us. I haven't got a team. We need a team to come over here and find out for us what the police are doing and what we need to do. Our hands are tied over here, we need experts. How long can you stay here for? It'll take an army 10 years to cover all this. I'd employ a team of Gurkhas."

He added: "We've done the valley where his ping was, we've gone up the road to a vantage point, there's cliffs there and there's a valley and a village there."

Warren said he was baffled as to why anyone would attempt to hike through the brambles and cacti when there was a rough path there. "All I'm thinking is common sense, would you try and walk through there. Where we've been today you can see there's a hikers path with proper stones. We've gone straight down and you end up in the village," he said.

The distraught dad also questioned why no-one had seen his son walking along the twisting mountain road in a popular tourist spot. "From the bnb, he's a fit lad, 25 minutes you can get to the top, to where the cafe is. If he's followed the road and been where we've been today, it's took him an hour and a half, " he said.

Warren went on: "Dozens of cars would have gone past him. We got here at 9am and the 10am bus passed us. And it would have passed him. I've been up here three weeks and I've never seen as many cars."

The Airbnb Jay visited was rented by convicted drug dealer Ayub Qassim. He previously said: "I let the geezer stay at mine because he had nowhere else to go. His friends had all left him."

"I know Jay, through friends, I'm not going to bring someone back to mine if I don't know them. I'm doing the geezer a favour and now my face is all over the news. It's a bit mental. I haven't even done anything."

Qassim also remarked: "The only comment I have to make is that Jay came to the house alive, and he left the house alive."

The search by Spanish authorities concluded last weekend after 14 days.