Speedboat killer Jack Shepherd jailed after admitting attack on barman with vodka bottle

Andy Wells
Freelance Writer
Jack Shepherd has been jailed for assaulting a barman (AP)

Speedboat killer Jack Shepherd has been jailed for an additional four years after he admitted attacking a barman with a bottle during a alcohol-fuelled assault.

The former £150,000-a-year IT consultant, who is already serving a six-year sentence for the manslaughter of Charlotte Brown, admitted attacking former soldier David Beech.

Shepherd, 31, appeared at Exeter Crown Court by video link and pleaded guilty to wounding with intent in Newton Abbot, Devon, on March 16 last year.

A judge told Shepherd that because he was on bail for Ms Brown's manslaughter at the time of the assault, the four-year sentence would run consecutively to his current jail term.

Shepherd struck the Afghanistan veteran so hard in the face with a bottle of vodka he thought he had been hit with a baseball bat.

Lee Brembridge, prosecuting, told the court Shepherd and a friend had been drinking all day when they entered the White Hart Hotel in Moretonhampstead.

Mr Beech told the pair they would not be served because they were too drunk and asked them to leave.

Shepherd is already serving a six-year sentence for the manslaughter of Charlotte Brown (PA)

As he escorted Shepherd's friend from the premises, the defendant pulled a bottle hidden in his back pocket and hit Mr Beech in the face, knocking him to the ground, before attempting to flee.

Shepherd was apprehended by Mr Beech's colleague, James Stapley, and hotel guest Lewis Simmonds, an off-duty police officer.

Mr Bremridge told the court: "During the course of that restraint, he said, 'I know I hit your mate and I am going to pay for it’."

Read more from Yahoo News UK:

Body of missing British tourist found floating in water in Ibiza

German nurse jailed for life for murdering 85 patients

Average person eats up to 120,000 bits of plastic a year

Shepherd was already on bail over the death of 24-year-old Ms Brown on the River Thames in December 2015.

When he was released under investigation over her death he fled to Georgia.

He was absent from his manslaughter trial at the Old Bailey and was later jailed for six years after returning to the UK in April.

Shepherd, formerly of Charles Street, Bristol, is appealing against his manslaughter conviction and Court of Appeal judges will hear that application on June 13.

Shepherd is appealing against his manslaughter conviction (PA)

During the sentencing hearing he appeared to sob and wipe tears from his face.

Stephen Vullo QC, defending, read to the court a letter Shepherd had written in which he "apologised unreservedly" for attacking Mr Beech.

"When I saw the CCTV of the attack I felt physically sick. It fills me with great regret," he said.

"Until that evening I have never been a violent person. I can only attribute this shocking change in character in me to too much alcohol.”

Shepherd said he could have "snapped under the strain" of facing trial over Ms Brown's death and had "failed to cope" with the break-up of his marriage.

Explaining why he went on the run, he said he had only brought "suffering" to Mr Beech and Ms Brown's family and had considered ending his life.

"It was cowardly and was taken out of fear of prison. I took the decision between suicide or flight and I chose flight," he said.

"I hope one day to return to society and lead a good and productive life.”

Judge David Evans described Shepherd as a "man with certain puzzling or peculiar aspects to your character" and added: "You took the cowardly course of action to go on the run. Your absconding delayed justice for many months."