A turmeric-spiced potato cake (vegetarian, but even meat eaters will love it), dipped in a gram-flour batter, then fried, shoved in a bun and served with green-chilli sauce and quick pickled onions.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 400g floury potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2-4 green chillies, finely chopped (remove the seeds if you want less heat)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small red onion, very finely sliced
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder, mild or hot, as you like
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 150g gram flour (or use plain flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 burger buns, split in half
- butter, to spread
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and mash well.
- While the potatoes are cooking, blend the chillies with the garlic, coriander, a pinch of salt and half the lemon juice, with just a splash of water to form a smooth sauce. Put to one side.
- In a small bowl, mix the red onion with a big pinch of salt and rub well, then rinse in cold water and drain well. Add the remaining lemon juice and put to one side.
- Fry the mustard seeds in two tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat for about 30 seconds, until they begin to sizzle and pop, then add the ginger and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add one teaspoon of the curry powder, the turmeric and the potatoes, with salt and pepper to taste, and mix well. Remove from the heat and put to one side.
- Mix the gram flour with a big pinch of salt, the remaining curry powder, baking powder and 180ml water to make a thick batter.
- Divide the cooled potato mixture into four equal balls and pat into a flat burger shape about 3cm thick.
- Heat a frying pan with 4cm of oil until a drop of the batter sizzles when dropped in.
- Coat the potato in the batter and fry for about two minutes on each side until golden brown and piping hot. Drain and set aside on kitchen napkins.
- Butter the buns and place a burger inside. Top with the chilli sauce and drained pickled onions.