The New Year is almost upon us and that mean it’s just about a wrap on a phenomenal 2021 in the world of sport.
We’ve witnessed Olympic trials and tribulations on the other side of the world, Euro 2020 heroics and heartbreak on our own doorstep, seen stars born in the pool, on tennis courts and on horseback.
But how much can you remember about the last 12 months?
Test your knowledge in our quiz below...
1. Let’s start with Euro 2020 and the summer that was. The first goal of the tournament was an own goal, but who was the first player to put the ball in the net at the right end?
2. Which two teams finished the group stage without a single point? (One point for each)
3. Excluding own goals and penalty shootouts, how many different players scored goals for England on their run to the final?
4. June 28 brought two classic Euros games on the same afternoon, between Croatia & Spain and France & Switzerland. What was the score after 90 minutes in both matches?
5. And which Spain player scored a comical own goal against the Croatians, his 50-yard back-pass beating goalkeeper Unai Simon?
6. Cristiano Ronaldo won the golden boot by virtue of having one more assist than which other player, after the pair finished tied on five goals?
7. To Tokyo and the Olympics next. Why did Dutch cyclist Annemiek van Vleuten’s celebrations turn to bemusement after she crossed the finish line in the Olympic road race?
8. Athletes from which two countries agreed to share gold in the men’s high jump? (One point for each)
9. Dean Boxall, the long-haired Australian coach whose wild celebrations proved a viral hit, coached which swimmer to two gold medals in Tokyo?
10. Why was German modern pentathlon coach Kim Raisner thrown out of the Olympics?
11. Which sport produced the youngest podium in Olympic history? It had an average age of just 14 years and 191 days.
12. Jonny Brownlee finally added Olympic gold to his bronze and silver from London and Rio as Team GB won the inaugural mixed triathlon relay. Name his three teammates. (One point for each)
13. Laura and Jason Kenny became Britain’s most successful female and male Olympians of all-time. How many gold medals have they now won between them?
14. What is the last name of twin sisters Jennifer and Jessica, who made up half of the British women’s gymnastics team that won bronze, the country’s first medal in the discipline in 93 years?
15. Who weighed in on the super-spike debate with this, after winning Olympic gold on the track: “If you want to cushion, you can put a mattress there. But if you put a trampoline, I think it’s b******t.”
16. Italy’s gold medal in which event prompted Britain’s Richard Kilty to come out with this: “Listen, in the history of mankind, this is Italy’s biggest year ever. Forget the Roman Empire, all that nonsense.”
17. Back to football. Four players scored hat-tricks as England’s women hammered Latvia 20-0 in November. Name two of them for a point.
18. Burnley boss Sean Dyche spent several minutes of a press conference earlier this year telling journalists about his “best ever lookie-likey”. It involved a man in a bar who resembled a character from which Pixar film?
19. Sticking with Dyche, what was significant about the team he selected against Liverpool on August 21?
20. Which company was forced to apologise over a series of tweets mocking Tottenham Hotspur, on the same day it announced a new sponsorship deal with the club?
21. Which English player who was NOT part of Gareth Southgate’s Euro 2020 squad moved clubs for the highest transfer fee this summer?
22. Harry Kane led the Premier League in both goals and assists at the end of the 2021 season. Who were the only two players to also reach double figures in both metrics? (One point for each)
23. Which player, who started only one Premier League game in the whole of 2020, began 2021 with a run of nine goals in 16 league games, but has not started a single one since?
24. Who dejectedly claimed fans of his club though of him a “stupid, tactically inept cabbage-head”?
25. A bit of cricket next. Which men’s and women’s teams won the inaugural edition of the Hundred? (One point for each)
26. English batters scored seven Test centuries in 2021. Joe Root was responsible for six of them - who got the other?
27. Sticking with centuries, who scored the only one of the men’s T20 World Cup?
28. Who took all ten wickets in an innings in a Test match against India in December, becoming only the third man in Test cricket history to achieve the feat?
29. Golf time. Who scored a record 4.5 points as a rookie as Europe beat the USA to win the Solheim Cup in Ohio?
30. The USA got their revenge in the Ryder Cup as Europe were thrashed at Whistling Straits. Which American reeled off a perfect five points out of five?
31. Who was the only player to finish in the top ten at all four men’s majors?
32. A quick stop off at the snooker. Who lost his rag after his first round exit from the UK Championship, claiming it was “not fair” because his amateur conqueror should not have been allowed to enter the tournament?
33. To the tennis court. Which British teenager took a set off world No1 Novak Djokovic on Centre Court on the opening day of Wimbledon this year?
34. What was Emma Raducanu’s world ranking at the time of her US Open victory? She rose to No23 after beating Leylah Fernandez in the Flushing Meadows final.
35. In the men’s singles final at the same tournament, who won their first Grand Slam title, denying Djokovic a clean sweep of the year’s Majors?
36. Rugby up next. Who kicked a last-gasp penalty as England beat South Africa by a single point at Twickenham?
37. Who was banned from all rugby activity for two months for his hour-long video criticising officials during this summer’s British and Irish Lions tour?
38. Which two teams consigned the All Blacks to their first back-to-back Test defeats since 2011 this autumn? (One point for each)
39. Harlequins ended their nine-year wait for a Premiership title in June by toppling which opponents in a classic final?
40. In athletics, who was the only British athlete to win an overall Diamond League title in 2021?
41. With the London Marathon delayed until October, a special Olympic trial race was staged for British athletes in March at which UNESCO World Heritage Site?
42. Which venue hosted live boxing for the first time as Anthony Joshua lost his world titles to Oleksandr Usyk in October?
43. In May, who became Britain’s first undisputed world champion in the four-belt era?
44. How many knockdowns were there in total during the epic heavyweight trilogy fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder in November?
45. Only two drivers won a Formula 1 Grand Prix in 2021 without driving a Red Bull or Mercedes. Can you name them? (One point for each)
46. Who said it: “You’re a freestyle rapper, have you got any rap for us today on Formula One?”
47. Across the pond, which NBA team was forced to play their 2020/21 home games in Tampa Florida, well over 1,000 miles from their home city, due to Covid travel restrictions?
48. Tom Brady won his seventh Super Bowl after helping the Tampa Bay Bucaneers beat the Kansas City Chiefs back in February. How many of the NFL’s 32 franchises have won more?
49. Into the final furlong with racing. Name the three-time Grand National-winning owner who sadly passed away in October. He had also been the owner of Preston North End FC.
50. Which horse did Frankie Dettori ride to victory in the Epsom Oaks by a record 16 lengths?
Click here for the answers.