Cambs mum whose two children died in house fire paid out by faulty TV company

Jade Horton's two children died in a house fire
-Credit: (Image: Jade Horton)


The mother of two children who died in a house fire in St Neots has been paid compensation by a television company whose device was thought to have started the fire in December 2020. Jade Horton escaped by the blaze by jumping out of the second floor window, causing her to break both of her legs.

An inquest into the deaths of Isaac and Sienna Jenkins, aged three and seven, found a "perfect storm of bad luck" saw the fire spread rapidly from Isaac's bedroom on the first floor, up the staircase, and into Sienna's bedroom. Fire Investigation Officer Peter Jones told the inquest he believed the fire started in Isaac's bedroom, from an electronic device thought to be a TV.

A screen frame and electrical components were found in Isaac's bedroom and these where inspected by an engineer. The manufacturer of the television agreed to compensate Ms Horton with a six-figure settlement.

Ms Horton told the inquest in March 2022: "I always did the best that I could for my children and loved them unconditionally and have done since that day. To lose both your children is an immense heartache which I will never recover from. I am proud to be their mummy and they always will be. They brought me such joy."

Clare Morris, Head of Serious Injury and Multi Track at JF Law, secured the settlement for the grieving former prison officer. She said: "This is the most tragic case I've ever dealt with. I am deeply honoured to have been able to assist in this small way and to have helped Jade get the result she so deeply deserves.

Isaac and Sienna Jenkins
Isaac and Sienna Jenkins -Credit:Jade Horton

"Nothing can replace what she has lost but I hope settling the claims brings some peace and comfort." Ms Morris added: "We have not had an easy ride and I recall vividly our first conversation, which resulted in both of us crying. That was not the first time I cried over this case (and probably will not be the last)."