Former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn has reached a settlement in a civil lawsuit brought by a hotel maid who accused him of sexually assaulting her.
Details of the financial agreement between Nafissatou Diallo and Mr Strauss-Kahn will remain confidential, according to the judge in the case.
"About 10 minutes ago we reached a settlement in this case which was put on record," Douglas McKeon told the court at the start of a hearing in New York.
A French newspaper reported last month that the settlement would be in the region of $10m (£6.2m).
Ms Diallo accused Mr Strauss-Kahn of attacking her in a $3,000-a-night hotel suite at the Sofitel Hotel in Manhattan on May 14, 2011.
She alleged he forced her to perform oral sex on him after emerging naked from the bathroom, but the 63-year-old Frenchman said it was consensual.
The ensuing scandal forced Mr Strauss-Kahn from his role at the IMF and put an end to his ambitions to run for the French presidency.
However, criminal charges were dropped after prosecutors developed concerns about the Guinean immigrant's credibility.
These included what they said were inconsistencies in her account of what happened immediately following the incident. Ms Diallo insists she has always told the truth about the encounter.
Outside the court, the maid's lawyer, Ken Thompson, said: "Ms Diallo is a strong and courageous woman who never lost faith in our system of justice. With this resolution she can now move on with her life."
Ms Diallo herself made a short statement thanking her supporters.
Mr Strauss-Kahn, who has quietly resumed his career in recent months with speeches at private conferences and the establishment of a consulting firm, was not at the hearing in New York.
He is still awaiting a decision by a French court on whether he will face trial on pimping charges.