Strictly Come Dancing fans threaten boycott after Giovanni Pernice's departure amid BBC investigation

-Credit: (Image: PA)
-Credit: (Image: PA)


Strictly Come Dancing viewers are threatening to boycott the show after it was revealed professional dancer Giovanni Pernice will not return for the upcoming series. The BBC's ongoing investigation is due to allegations of "misconduct" by the star.

The 33-year-old professional dancer made headlines during the 2023 series due to reported training room disputes with his celebrity partner Amanda Abbington and has faced accusations of "threatening and abusive" behaviour, which he vehemently denies.

In response to the swirling rumours, Giovanni stated: "Of course, I reject any suggestion of abusive or threatening behaviour, and I look forward to clearing my name."

READ MORE BBC The One Show pays tribute to Dr Michael Mosley

READ MORE Roman Kemp's heartbreaking health battles and plans to quit showbiz

Allegations have surfaced that three female celebrities are taking legal steps against Giovanni, and last week, there were reports that a male celebrity has also joined the unnamed women in their action, reports the Mirror. Although Giovanni is not included in this year's line-up, sources suggest that this does not signify the conclusion of the BBC's inquiry into the alleged misconduct.

"Giovanni's case is very much ongoing," a source revealed to the Daily Mail. "The announcement is made once Strictly have finalised the contracts of the pros who are able to compete. Giovanni's absence has been known for some weeks, he won't be involved in the 2024 season. However, the investigation into his alleged misconduct will continue to progress alongside preparation for the upcoming series."

Strictly fans took to social media to fume that the show would not be the same without the Italian dancer and said they would not watch the show anymore in protest as this "snowflake generation" is getting out of hand.

Giovanni Pernice's former Strictly Come Dancing partner Amanda Abbington has spoken out on her feud with the professional dancer, as she insisted he was "nasty"
Giovanni Pernice's former Strictly Come Dancing partner Amanda Abbington has spoken out on her feud with the professional dancer, as she insisted he was "nasty" -Credit:BBC

On X, formerly known as Twitter one person wrote: "Bully claims force Giovanni Pernice out of Strictly. Seems daft to me after his long, excellent service to the show. He will be sorely missed."

Another furious user said: "This snowflake generation of Z listers is getting nauseating. If Amanda Abbington thinks that Giovanni Pernice was too tough, she must have been more accustomed to a pampered lifestyle."

A third remarked: "Strictly without Giovanni Pernice will be like chips without salt. Why are we only being told about his disgruntled partners? What about the ones who were happy dancing with him? Is this just a few nasty individuals stirring the proverbial? #SCD #StrictlyComeDancing #GiovanniPernice."

Someone else said: "Giovanni is gone because Amanda didn't want to put in the hard work unlike the rest of his previous partners? #StrictlyComeDancing."

LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 18:  Giovanni Pernice attends the UK Premiere of Black Adam at Cineworld Leicester Square on October 18, 2022 in London, England. (Photo by Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images  for Warner Bros. )
LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 18: Giovanni Pernice attends the UK Premiere of "Black Adam" at Cineworld Leicester Square on October 18, 2022 in London, England. (Photo by Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images for Warner Bros. ) -Credit:Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images

One other person raged: "'Gutted! He's my fav. Should be a petition to bring him back! If some celebs can't handle the training and hard work then they shouldn't go on the show. He was amazing with Rose; That’s me not watching anymore!"

Whilst someone else agreed: "Omg I won’t be watching strictly this awful news; Well it certainly won't be the same without him...our loss; Really glad to see Amy back but devastated that Giovanni has gone. Big mistake, HUGE!!"

Giovanni has not yet commented on his departure but previously issued a statement to his fans amid the allegations. He stated: "To my dear fans, I reject any suggestion of abusive or threatening behaviour, and I look forward to clearing my name.

"Those who have followed my journey on Strictly Come Dancing over the last decade will know that I am passionate and competitive. No-one is more ambitious for my dance partners than me. I have always striven to help them be the very best dancers they can be. This has always come from a place of love and wanting to win - for me and my dance partners. Thank you all once again for your continued love and support!".