Strictly Come Dancing star Anton du Beke has been a fan favourite to take Darcey Bussell’s place on the competition’s judging panel since the moment she quit earlier this year. Now, the performer has said he’d be “delighted” to two-step in.
Discussing the possibility of adopting a new role on the show, the professional dancer told the Irish Mirror: “I don’t know if it will be me but if they asked me I would love to.
“People say they are real fans of mine but we will have to wait and see if they ask me first.”
He continued: “I did a screen test last time when Len left and they know that I want to do it this year.”
Talking about Bussell’s departure from the BBC celebrity series, Du Beke said he was “massively disappointed that Darcey is leaving” and said her absence could leave the show “lacking” if it doesn’t bag the right newbie.
“It depends who they get...she won’t like me saying the but she is such a British institution,” he concluded.
Earlier this month, former Strictly contestant Simon Webbe backed Du Beke as next judge describing his as “the new Len Goodman.”
"Anton should be on that panel," the Blue star explained to Express.co.uk. "Anton is the man. He's funny, he's witty, he can help you but lighten the load a little bit.
"He deserves to be on the show more than anybody because of how long he's been on it and his experience. And he's an incredible ballroom dancer.”
While it’s uncertain whether Du Beke will be sitting next to Shirley Ballas, Bruno Tonioli and Craig Revel Horwood when the next series of Strictly rolls around, his ‘wits’ have already bagged him an upcoming guest presenting spot on This Morning.
He and Rochelle Humes are set to stand-in for Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford on Friday 31 May.