A university student plans to sue the police and the Crown Prosecution Service after the rape case against him collapsed.
Liam Allan spent two years on bail before the collapse of the case last week, describing his ordeal as “a terrible form of limbo”.
Now the 22-year-old says he wants to use the experience as a force for good, and plans to take legal action action the police and the CPS.
The case against him was kicked out at Croydon Crown Court on December 14 after evidence previously undisclosed by the prosecution cast serious doubt over its credibility.
In one of her messages sent to a female friend before she made her complaint, his accuser texted: “It wasn’t against my will or anything.”
Most popular on Yahoo News UK
Woman mauled to death in ‘grisly’ attack by her own pitbulls
Police confirm arrest of taxi driver over brutal murder of British embassy worker
Ugly Betty actress Ashley Jensen ‘devastated’ after death of husband
Police reveal cause of death of Canadian billionaire and his wife
The Metropolitan Police said it was carrying out an “urgent assessment” over the way it was handled.
Mr Allan said he had “no choice” but to sue the police and the CPS over their handling of his case.
He said: “I am however, happy to work with the CPS and police to help ensure things change for the better. In this case no individual is to blame; there are multiple factors.”
In an interview with the Mail on Sunday, Mr Allan said he had not “slept properly” for two years since he was arrested.
He said: “The support from friends was fantastic, no one believed for one minute that I was guilty. No one treated me differently, no one gave me funny looks at university. I just had to carry on.”
Mr Allan said he believed the case started when the complainant – who cannot be named for legal reasons – began telling “a little white lie”.
He told the newspaper: “It completely spiralled out of control and it became a story she had to stick to. She completely lost control of what happened.
“I am hoping to use my experience to help change system failures for the benefit of both victims and falsely accused people together.”
Police are understood to have looked at thousands of phone messages when reviewing evidence but it was not until the prosecution was close to trial that Met officers disclosed communications between the complainant and her friends which cast doubt on the case against Mr Allan.
The Crown Prosecution Service said they offered no evidence in the case last Thursday, as it was decided “there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction”.
(Main picture: Rex)