Supersonic Festival announces major change after 'lots of stress' and late 'let down'

Supersonic Festival
-Credit: (Image: Sam Frank Wood)


Organisers of Supersonic Festival have announced a major change for this year's event after being "let down" in the "eleventh hour". The annual music festival will hold its 21st event between August 30 and September 1.

But organisers said the event will not be held in the same venue as last year as the site's owners told them it was no longer available. "Developers who own the warehouse that we used as our main stage last year have let us down at the eleventh hour," Supersonic wrote on X.

"Despite months of regular meetings, and reassurances from them that all was okay, they recently told us that they won't be able to let us have the space this year." Organisers said the late change had caused "a lot of stress" over the last few weeks "behind the scenes".

Read more: Moment '700' protesting Uber drivers block Birmingham city centre roads and why they did it

However, the event will still go ahead. The festival added: "We will be using the 02 Institute as our second stage. It's a stunning converted Methodist chapel built in the early 1900s.

"It's just a short walk away from our main festival hub at XOYO (formerly The Mill) and its bigger capacity will enable us to put more weekend tickets on sale. This new new space will also be much better for you as audience members - with good disabled access, a high stage with excellent site lines and, best of all, a seated balcony for those of you that get weary feet."

Organisers said the late changed meant costs had increased "quite substantially" and therefore urged people to support them by visiting XOYO "as much" as they can. "The income we generate there makes a huge contribution towards our costs in producing the festival," they added.

Supersonic Festival statement in full after change of venue

"As long-time friends will know, Supersonic has happily been in Digbeth since we first started 21 years ago. Over the last few years, however, we've been seeing problems caused by the increasing gentrification of the area and the impact of property developers moving in.

"Sadly, this has now directly affected our plans for this year as developers who own the warehouse that we used as our main stage last year have let us down at the 11th hour. Despite months of regular meetings, and reassurances from them that all was okay, they recently told us that they won't be able to let us have the space this year.

"As you might imagine, this has caused us a lot of stress behind the scenes over the last few weeks. But we're delighted to say that we have now found an alternative that we think will actually be a big improvement on what we had last year.

"We can now confirm that we will be using the 02 Institute as our second stage. It's a stunning converted Methodist chapel built in the early 1900s.

"It's just a short walk away from our main festival hub at XOYO (formerly The Mill) and its bigger capacity will enable us to put more weekend tickets on sale. This new new space will also be much better for you as audience members - with good disabled access, a high stage with excellent site lines and, best of all, a seated balcony for those of you that get weary feet.

"What this late change does mean is that our costs have increased quite a substantially and we won't be able to benefit from the bar income at the O2 Institute as we used to at our old venue. So we would ask you to support us by making sure you use our bars based at XOYO as much as you can, as the income we generate there makes a huge contribution towards our costs in producing the festival.

"We thank you for your continued support and look forward to welcoming our global community in August, when we're sure you that you'll have just as great a time as ever..."