Susanna Reid appeared to fight back tears as she spoke to the parents of a teenage girl who died as a result of an allergic reaction.
Megan Lee was 15 when she suffered an asthma attack triggered by food she ate from Royal Spice takeaway in Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, in December 2016.
Her parents Adam and Gemma spoke to Reid on Good Morning Britain to raise awareness, telling Reid “they can’t change our story, but we can help stop it being rewritten in someone else’s life”.
Speaking to the couple on Thursday, Reid said: “My heart breaks for you. It’s absolutely terrible. Your loss is the worst that any parent can imagine and your grief is unimaginable.”
She wrapped up the in terview with an emotional plea to restauranteurs, warning them to not “play fast or loose” with lives.
She said: “You don’t play games with people’s lives. You know what is in your food, you communicate that clearly to people who are paying you money to buy your food.
“You don’t play fast or loose because these teenagers, these children, these parents are making life or death decisions and in this case it led to the loss of a precious 15-year-old life.”
Megan Lee ordered from the takeaway on December 30, 2016. She died two days later after suffering a seizure and irreversible brain damage.
The takeaway’s manager Harun Rashid and owner Mohammed Abdul Kuddus were yesterday jailed for manslaughter after a two-week trial heard there was a "litany of failings" in the kitchen.
Judge Mrs Justice Yip said: “You never gave the risk of a customer dying because of an allergy a moment’s thought. You must now live with the guilt of what you have done.”
Good Morning Britain is on ITV, weekdays at 6am