Suspect named in manhunt after deadly 'hammer attack' on one-year-old toddlers

Rachel Roberts
A huge manhunt has been launched for Bidhya Sagar Das in connection with the attacks, which left one child dead and another fighting for her life: Met police handout

Police are urgently searching for a man in connection with the murder of a one-year-old boy and an attack on a girl believed to be his twin sister in north London.

The man sought following a reported hammer attack is Bidhya Sagar Das, aged 33, who lived at the address in Wilberforce Road, Finsbury Park, where the toddlers were injured in what police are describing as a suspected “domestic incident”.

The boy was pronounced dead shortly before 1am after both children were taken to an east London hospital.

Horrified neighbours reported that a woman, believed to be the children’s mother, rushed out of her home screaming, “My children, my children!” shortly after 11pm on Saturday.

Witnesses told reporters they believe the children were attacked with a hammer, although police are yet to confirm this.

Neighbours called for emergency services and a police helicopter was dispatched to try and find the suspected attacker.

Police have appealed for the public’s help in finding the suspect.

A statement said: “Detectives are urgently trying to trace a man who was at the flat shortly before the injured children were found, but left before emergency services were called. The man has not been seen since this time.

“He is Bidhya Sagar Das, 33, (31.12.83) of the address in Wilberforce Road where the injured children were found.

“If any members of the public see this man or know his whereabouts, they are urged to contact police via 999 immediately.”

The statement continued: “The incident is believed to be domestic. There has been no arrest at this stage and enquiries continue.”

Eyewitness Mihai Manea told reporters at the scene: “We heard the noise and went to the room … the boy was already dead. (We are) just shocked, you wouldn’t expect something like this… when I saw the police, I said, ‘It’s just Saturday night, it’s like, somebody got drunk or in a fight but I wouldn’t imagine like a murder.”

Police said next of kin are aware and a post-mortem will be carried out on the little boy in due course.

The little girl remains in a critical condition in hospital.