The TV co-stars and best friends have discovered a strange link between their ancestors.
The family history series returns with a new list of stars searching for ancestry secrets.
Comedy duo Mel and Sue were unhappy with the mood producers were originally aiming for on the show.
Perkins, who used to host the show with Mel Giedroyc, quit when the company that makes it, Love Productions, took it from the BBC and sold it to Channel 4.
Channel 4’s recipe for Great British Bake Off success is still missing a couple of vital ingredients in the form of replacement hosts for Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, who originally fronted the show on BBC One. The broadcaster, who acquired the rights to the show from Love Productions for £75m in September, have reportedly been struggling to secure new presenters after the comedic duo walked away from the series last year.
If you had visions of former Bake Off host Sue Perkins taking a long and agonising amount of time to decide to quit the show a few months back, think again. Opening up for the first time about her big decision not to end up squished between endless commercials over on Channel 4, Sue admitted that she made the decision “in a heartbeat”. 47-year-old Sue also admitted she was more than a little bit baffled about why GBBO had to move to Channel 4 in the first place.
Great British Bake Off fans held a funeral service for the show outside BBC HQ on Thursday. .@Dungeon_London has sent a hearse and actors to the BBC to mourn the loss of Bake Off. More than 14 million tuned into Wednesday night’s final to see Candice Brown be crowned the series winner for the last time on the BBC, but the episode was tinged with sadness.
The beloved Bake Off judge, 81, told Chris Evans on Radio 2 on Wednesday morning that her decision to stay with the BBC was made “straight away”, but that no plans had been made about what the trio will do next. As for Mel and Sue, who decided against renewing their contract with the new broadcaster, Mary revealed that she is keen to reunite with the pair on television projects in the near future. In the meantime, Bake Off’s remaining contestants – Andrew Smyth, Jane Beedle and Candice Brown – are hoping to rise to the occasion and be crowned the seventh series winner.
If the simmering tensions between Sue Perkins and Paul Hollywood on display in tonight’s episode of Bake Off are anything to go by, it’s probably a good job they’re going their separate ways. The Sun claims Sue’s comments during tonight’s technical challenge are further evidence of an off-screen feud.
Great British Bake Off hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins bring their distinctive warmth and charm to the famous marquee through their exchange of top banter, hilarious puns and double entendres. According to reports, Richard could be about to land another role on the terrestrial channel, as Bake Off bosses believe his dry sense of humour and penchant for puns could make him the ideal replacement. Speaking of the new frontrunner, a source told The Sun: “Richard is a really popular choice at the minute, as many think he’s got a great character that would bring a great spark to the show.
The network’s Chief Creative Officer, Jay Hunt, insisted everything was going well, claiming that Channel 4 “saved” the show for the viewing public following the disintegration of the BBC and Love Productions’ relationship. “This was the worst kept secret in British TV history,” she told The Times. Do I, in the end, think it’s a good fit with Channel 4 that audiences will come and find it here?
Britney Spears has admitted that she would be interested in a role on the Great British Bake Off when it moves over to Channel 4 next year because she loves cooking calorific treats. The Toxic hitmaker stopped by BBC Radio 1 on Wednesday to have a natter with Scott Mills and Chris Stark, but the conversation soon turned to the hot topic of the moment: Bake Off’s channel/presenter drama.
After that, though, the show is Channel 4’s – but they may have to wait, because their contract allows for the BBC to delay the showing of the program until 2018. Industry experts have suggested this is unlikely, however, because the “cooling off” clause that would allow this delay is included to give the BBC time to strike a new deal with Love Productions, something that they aren’t expected to do. In that case, then, it seems that the first new Bake Off we’ll see on Channel 4 will be a celebrity special, in aid of the charity Stand up to Cancer.
In a dramatic escalation of the almighty Bake Off bun fight, the BBC could launch a rival to the show BEFORE the original version even gets an airing on Channel 4. Channel 4 bought the show from Love Productions earlier in the month – a move which saw presenters Mel and Sue decide to quit out of loyalty to the Beeb. Mary Berry followed the pair last week, leaving Channel 4 with little more than Paul Hollywood and an empty tent.
It’s barely 24 hours since Mel and Sue announced that they were sensationally quitting Bake Off, but a steady stream of celebs are already edging forward with one eye on the dough. One contender who must surely be a favourite is TV chef and campaigner Jamie Oliver, who has made no secret of his love for the show in the past. “I love Mary Berry and it’s really great watching.
At time of writing, there’s no news as to whether Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood will be making the move – the new deal with Channel 4 didn’t include them, and so their contracts will need to be renegotiated – but it’s already becoming clear that The Great British Bake Off, when it does return next year, will be returning in a significantly different capacity. The move to Channel 4 will, almost inevitably, lead to a loss of viewers – at its peak, Bake Off was drawing in 10 million viewers per episode, but even the most popular of Channel 4 programs only manage around 5 million.
Sue Perkins will not appear in this week’s episode of The Great British Bake Off, leaving co-presenter Mel Giedroyc to present the BBC baking show on her own, but it has been confirmed that the duo will be reunited next week. Making light of the fact that her partner-in-crime is absent for the first time in Bake Off’s six-year history, viewers will witness Mel introducing Biscuit Week alone, telling the bakers in the tent: “One baker has gone, they’re not coming back.