Tax information for seniors and snowbirds

Feb. 13—Senior taxpayers may be able to reduce their amount of taxable income by reviewing the list of Indiana deductions from income to see if they are eligible to claim them: Civil Service Annuity deduction; Disability Retirement deduction; Human Services tax deduction for Medicaid recipients staying at a care facility or hospital; Indiana partnership long-term care policy premiums deduction; Military Retirement Income and/or Survivor's Benefits deduction; Social Security and Railroad Retirement benefits

Seniors may be entitled to the Unified tax credit for the elderly. Most can claim this by filing taxes on Form IT-40 or IT-40 PNR. Low-income seniors may be eligible to file the shorter Form SC-40 to claim these refunds if they qualify. Indiana residents who have a total value of exemptions that exceed federal gross income before deductions do not need to file an Indiana income tax return. More information is available on DOR's Who Must File a Tax Return webpage.


Any Hoosier who spends a significant amount of time escaping winter in a different state (or country) is considered a full-year resident and does not have to be present in Indiana the whole year. If you have any questions, review residency definitions on DOR's page, and consulting a tax professional can help.

Information provided — Information provided