Teenager arrested on suspicion of 16-year-old school pupil's murder in Walthamstow

·2-min read

A 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of another 16-year-old boy in east London on Friday.

Renell Charles was ambushed after leaving Kelmscott School in Walthamstow on the eve of the coronation.

He died in the street shortly after emergency workers arrived at the scene.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of murder in the early hours of Sunday after handing himself in to an east London police station, where he remains in custody.

Officers were called at around 4.09pm on Friday to reports of a stabbing at Markhouse Road, with London's Air Ambulance and London Ambulance Service also responding to the incident.

Renell was found at the scene with stab injuries, and despite the efforts of emergency services, he was pronounced dead at 4.39pm.

The school pupil's headteacher Sam Jones called the attack the "darkest of days" for the school community.

"A Kelmscott student was tragically killed in a senseless knife attack," he said. "Kelmscott is a large and tight-knit family and this loss will be felt for a long time to come.

"Hold those that you love close this evening. I know we will come together as a community and support one another through this."

The stabbing was one of two others that took place in east London over a period of eight hours on Friday, with the others being in Dagenham and Hackney.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Rogers, who is leading the Met's investigation, said Sunday's arrest marks a "significant development" and that Renell's family have been informed.

He said: "This is a fast-moving investigation and we are aware that this brutal attack took place near a school, and was witnessed by many bystanders and young people.

"My thoughts are with them as they come to terms with seeing such an act of violence unfold and I would ask anyone with footage or images to do the right thing and send them into my team of detectives."

He added that anyone with dashcam footage of the incident should send it to police to assist the investigation.

"A young boy has lost his life and evidence such as this can contribute to securing justice for his family and friends," he said.

A post-mortem took place on Saturday and found the cause of death to be a stab wound to the chest.