Teenager dies after fireworks 'hurled' down street - as violence mars Bonfire Night in parts of UK

A teenager who reportedly died after jumping on to a greenhouse while running from chaotic Bonfire Night scenes has been named locally.

Qais Muhammad Ratyal was reported to have injured himself following an incident in Halifax, West Yorkshire, in which youths threw fireworks at each other.

Residents told YorkshireLive that riot police arrived to deal with the chaos on Saturday night, with the 17-year-old believed to have been among the teenagers who then fled the scene.

A resident of Vickerman Street told the newspaper she called an ambulance after seeing Qais had injured himself while running through back gardens around 8pm.

"He jumped on to the greenhouse and that is how he got injured," she said.

He was taken to hospital where he died, police said.

West Yorkshire Police has referred itself to the watchdog, the Independent Office for Police Conduct, over the incident after officers had been called to the street "due to fireworks being set off".

A force spokesperson said: "Police were contacted by the ambulance service shortly before 8:15pm on Saturday evening following reports of an injured male in the garden of a property...

"The 17-year-old male was taken to hospital where, sadly, he died of his injuries. A scene is currently on in the area as officers establish the full facts of what has happened."

It came as police across the UK reported violence and anti-social behaviour linked to Bonfire Night, with disorder in Edinburgh branded "disgraceful".

In West Yorkshire, riot officers were called in to deal with disorder in Leeds when fireworks were thrown towards police in the city's Hyde Park area.

Elsewhere, four youths were arrested after police and fire service vehicles were attacked in the Bradford Moor area in the run up to Bonfire Night.

In Liverpool, two men were shot in an "horrendous incident" close to a Bonfire Night party.

The victims suffered serious leg injuries and a suspect, dressed all in black, reportedly ran from the scene in Netherton at about 11.20pm on Saturday, Merseyside Police said.

In Greater Manchester, firefighters said they attended more than 200 incidents on "another busy Bonfire Night".

In Eccles, a firework was thrown at firefighters who were trying to put out an unsupervised bonfire.

Fireworks were also aimed at crews responding to an incident in Crumpsall Park, Manchester, and a firework was reportedly put through the letterbox of a home in Salford.

In Edinburgh, a road was blockaded with fire and motorbikes raced through part of the city amid Bonfire Night chaos on Saturday.

Footage shared online showed a motorbike gang racing in the streets with fireworks being set off along the ground, seemingly aimed at people and vehicles.

Edinburgh's council leader Cammy Day criticised the scenes, saying what happened was "disgraceful and disgusting".