Terry Jones will be remembered for delivering some of the best-loved and most quoted lines in British comedy history.
The Monty Python star directed three of the franchise's celebrated feature films and was the recipient of a host of theatre accolades.
Palin said: "He was far more than one of the funniest writer-performers of his generation, he was the complete Renaissance comedian... most wonderful company you could wish to have.”
Fans of the actor, writer, historian and children's author will be able to rattle off dozens of Jones' best lines.
Here are seven of our favourites...
1. "Now, you listen here! He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!"
Probably Jones' most quoted line, the star uttered this while playing Brian's mother in Monty Python's famous Life Of Brian film.
2. "I'm alive, I'm alive!"
His naked hermit in the hole also gives away the location of a hiding Brian in Monty Python's Life Of Brian.
3. "I shall use my largest scales."
Jones plays pompous knight Sir Belvedere as he oversees a witch trial in Monty Python And The Holy Grail.
4. "What, the curtains?"
Prince Herbert reacts to the news: "One day, lad, all this will be yours" in Holy Grail.
5. "Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam."
Jones plays a greasy spoon waitress running through a menu in a Monty Python sketch.
6. "We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose."
He plays a confectionery kingpin Mr Milton, the owner of the Whizzo Chocolate Company, briefing some horrified hygiene officers in the sketch from Monty Python.
7. "Better get a bucket, I'm going to throw up."
He plays an obese restaurant patron Mr Creosote in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life who over-indulges.