TfL plans to make ‘temporary’ Congestion Charge hike permanent

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
A so-called ‘temporary’ 30% increase in the fee for driving into central London will be made permanent under Transport for London plans (Philip Toscano/PA) (PA Archive)
A so-called ‘temporary’ 30% increase in the fee for driving into central London will be made permanent under Transport for London plans (Philip Toscano/PA) (PA Archive)

A 30% hike in the fee for driving into central London will be made permanent under Transport for London (TfL) plans.

TfL had claimed the increase in the daily Congestion Charge from £11.50 to £15 was a temporary measure when it was introduced in June 2020.

On Wednesday it announced proposals to keep the price at that level, but scale back an increase in the period when the scheme operates.

These proposals support the capital’s culture, hospitality and night-time businesses

London mayor Sadiq Khan

The multi-billion pound funding package provided by the Government led to the Congestion Charge being extended from 7am-6pm on weekdays to 7am-10pm every day.

TfL is consulting on stopping the charge at 6pm every day, and delaying its start until noon on weekends and bank holidays.

London mayor Sadiq Khan who chairs TfL, said: “The Government insisted on the widening of the level and scope of the Congestion Charge last year as a condition of TfL’s emergency funding agreement – which was only needed because of the pandemic.

“As we look to the future it’s vital the charge strikes the right balance between supporting London’s economic recovery and helping ensure it is a green and sustainable one.

“These proposals support the capital’s culture, hospitality and night-time businesses which have struggled so much, as well as encouraging people to walk, cycle and use public transport.

“We must not replace one public health crisis with another due to filthy polluted air, and our measures to create more space for walking and cycling have already had a huge impact.

“I urge Londoners to have their say and take part in the consultation.”

Earlier this week Mr Khan warned that “very difficult decisions remain” after TfL published a revised budget which included a £500 million shortfall this financial year.

The plan to abolish fees after 6pm was welcomed by senior figures at entertainment businesses in the capital.

Kathryn McDowell, managing director of London Symphony Orchestra, said the measure would allow more people to attend its events and “give the night-time economy a much-needed boost”.

Nightclub Fabric’s director Cameron Leslie commented: “Any measure to encourage people back into central London at this time by whatever mode of transport should be wholeheartedly supported.”

Sir Nicholas Kenyon, managing director of performing arts centre Barbican, said lifting the congestion charge in the evening “would be a huge help in putting culture and events at the heart of the capital’s recovery”.

Read More

Sadiq Khan U-turns on £15-a-day congestion charge

TfL still faces £500 million funding gap for the year despite progress

TfL faces ‘difficult decisions’ as new budget published, warns Sadiq Khan

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting