Three men charged after police knocked out and stamped on in 'Mad Friday' attack

The attack happened on so-called 'Mad Friday' - one of the busiest nights for emergency services as revellers like these in Bristol hit the pub for festive celebrations (Picture: SWNS)

Three man have been charged after a policeman was knocked out and a female colleague was stamped on during an attack on so-called “Mad Friday”.

The Greater Manchester Police officers were on their way to an incident in Greater Manchester when they stopped to break up a fight between a group of men outside a pub.

As they tried to intervene, the male officer was punched in the head and knocked unconscious while his colleague was punched, dragged along the floor and then stamped on.

The incident happened in Middleton, Greater Manchester, at around on 2.35am on Saturday following what has been dubbed “Mad Friday” or ‘Black Eye Friday’ – the last Friday before Christmas and one of the busiest nights of the year for emergency services as Christmas revellers hit the pub.

Both officers were taken to hospital but have since been discharged and are recovering at home.

Revellers partied across the country, including in Bristol, on what is also dubbed 'Black Eye Friday' (Picture: SWNS)

All three men involved in the attack have been charged and were due to appear before magistrates on Monday.

Jonathan Cottrell, 34, of Reedsdale Road, Moston, was charged with actual bodily harm, assault by beating and violent disorder, while Lee Herbert, 29, of Longford Street, Heywood, was charged with actual bodily harm and violent disorder.

Liam Baker, 23, of Gilmour Street, Middleton, was charged with violent disorder.


Young boy leaves adorable thank you note to police after Manchester stabbings

Homeowner fined after hacking into 90-year-old cedar tree despite warnings from council

Youth who abused same-sex couple on bus ordered to attend diversity sessions

Detective Sergeant Tim O'Callaghan said: "This is a disgusting way to treat police officers, who spend their days and nights trying to keep the people of Greater Manchester safe.

"We are providing welfare support to the two officers who were attacked after bravely trying to intervene in a large fight and keep the peace.

"We will not tolerate this kind of behaviour and are 100% committed to bringing those responsible to justice.

"Although this happened in the early hours, it was outside a pub at what can be a busy junction so we're appealing for anyone with information which will assist us with our investigation to contact us immediately".