Three men jailed for 48 years for Dalston machine gun murder

Jermaine Jackson who was jailed for the murder of Patrick Anzy in 2021 in Dalston (Met Police)
Jermaine Jackson who was jailed for the murder of Patrick Anzy in 2021 in Dalston (Met Police)

Three men have been jailed for a total of 48 years after a man was gunned down in the street in northeast London.

Patrick Anzy, 31, was shot three times with a MAC11 machine gun in Gillett Square, Dalston on May 8, 2021.

Jermaine Jackson, 36, of Princess May Road, Dalston, was jailed for 33 years for murder and 22 years for possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life with the sentences to run concurrently.

His accomplice, Oshane Hartley, 26, of Victorian Road, Stoke Newington, was jailed for 12 years for possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, while Mohamed Abrar, 25, of Maury Road, Clapton, was jailed for three years for assisting an offender.

Southwark Crown Court heard how police and London Ambulance Service found Patrick with gunshot wounds to his neck and chest but despite the best efforts of medics, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Patrick Anzy (Met Police)
Patrick Anzy (Met Police)

Officers from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command trawled hundreds of hours of CCTV and mobile phone data revealing the movements of all three defendants on the night of the murder.

CCTV showed Jackson confronting Patrick and a friend at Gillett Square before leaving briefly to pick up the weapon and return where he opened fire in the street shooting Patrick in the back.

Around 10-15 minutes after the murder a taxi was booked by Abrar to collect Jackson and take him to an address in Harlow where Abrar was waiting.

Within 12 hours Jackson has got rid of his clothing from that night and travelled to Birmingham where he was arrested on May 15 2021.

Hartley had already been arrested by officers who proved he was involved in getting rid of the gun.Detective Sergeant James Robertson paid tribute to Patrick’s family who he said had “been dignified and courageous throughout this traumatic time”.

He said: “This was an extremely difficult and complex inquiry as Jackson was assisted in his attempt to evade justice. The police team were determined to find Jackson, Hartley and Abrar, arrest them and bring them to justice. That justice has been done and I hope that the sentences deter anyone else from carrying weapons on London’s streets.

“While we can never bring Patrick back, we could ensure those responsible were locked up. I am glad that those who played their part in this horrific shooting are behind bars.

“Of course, Patrick’s family continue to grieve and we know that they will always carry this loss and pain. I hope that this result today brings them a shred of comfort and we continue to think of them.

“The firearm used in this murder was a high calibre machine gun, one not commonly seen on the streets of London or elsewhere in the UK. It was offered for sale via social media to a wider criminal network less than an hour after the murder. It still hasn’t been recovered and I urge anyone with information about this firearm to contact us.”