Thug dragged girlfriend inside house and twisted and fractured her arm in violent attack

Vitalijus Varpotas has been jailed after his dragged his girlfriend into his home and attacked her
-Credit: (Image: West Yorkshire Police)

A woman who valiantly tried to escape her violent partner was dragged into his home before he fractured her arm and left her unconscious.

Vitalijus Varpotas, 32, turned against his on-off girlfriend when she went to his home on September 1 last year. Leeds Crown Court heard on Monday that Varpotas had been drinking when he accused the woman of cheating on him and hit her multiple times.

Prosecutor Lauren Smith said: "She ran out of the address but the defendant followed. He caught up with her outside and hit her again. He then dragged her back into the property. She ran upstairs to the bathroom and tried to lock the door but the defendant shoved it open.

Read more: Two men charged and named after police officer 'dragged under car' in 'fail to stop chase'

"The defendant continued hitting her to her head and body. He then grabbed her left arm and pulled it behind her and twisted it upwards. She wet herself and lost consciousness at this point. She woke up a short time later and left the house. The next day she went to hospital where she was told she had a fractured forearm. What had happened to her was then reported to police."

Varpotas, of Armley Ridge Road, Leeds, was interviewed on November 20 last year. He denied assaulting the woman, who told the court in a victim impact statement she was "still scared" of Varpotas, even though he had been remanded into custody.

She said: "I have a large scar on my arm from the operation. My arm hurts more every day. It is constantly there, which always reminds me what happened."

The woman said she might have to have further surgery on her arm, and said she now does not trust anyone any more and does not want to get into another serious relationship. She added: "I'm scared this could happen again and I don't want anyone to hurt me again. I was looking and applying for jobs but I can't work at the moment due to the pain in my arm, and because they may need to operate again.

"I want to know when he is released in the future as I am scared I will see him again. I think I will move away from Leeds to be as far away as possible."

The court heard Varpotas - who had been found guilty of inflicting grievous bodily harm after a trial - had previous convictions for two offences of assaulting an emergency worker.

Oliver Connor, mitigating, said bathroom fitter Varpotas had been remanded into custody at HMP Dovegate, where he had been working as a supervisor, before being moved to HMP Leeds for his trial. He said: "He is hoping he will be more settled after today's hearing and he will be able to find similar work."

The court heard Varpotas had two of his sisters and his father living in the UK, and had been in the country for around 12 years. Mr Connor said he had lost his mother two years ago, and his brother seven years ago. It was said his brother had taken his own life.

Get all the latest and breaking crime news in Leeds by signing up to our Crime and Punishment newsletter here.

Mr Connor added: "He tells me in particular he was very close with his brother. He has made two attempts on his own life in the last two years and he tells me he was diagnosed with depression in his earlier years but manages his condition much better now and he has sought assistance in recent times."

The court heard Varpotas was going through the extradition process, but is unsure of his status in the UK. It was said he has a further hearing on Tuesday.

His Honour Judge Clark jailed Varpotas for two years and three months.

LeedsLive has launched a WhatsApp community and anyone who joins will get the latest breaking news and top stories sent direct to their phone. To join click here.

If you don’t like our community, you can leave any time. We also treat members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. Read our privacy notice here.