Rory McIlroy’s new star-studded, multi-million-pound, high-tech indoor golf series has been delayed by a year after the venue set to host it was badly damaged.
McIlroy and his TGL co-founder Tiger Woods had already snapped up 15 of the world’s top-20 players to compete in the inaugural season from January 9.
But a major power outage at the SoFi Center in Palm Beach Gardens left the air-filled dome roof badly damaged after it collapsed.
Because of both clashes for broadcaster ESPN and the availability of the various players to compete, it has now been put back to early 2025.
Following the incident, McIlroy said: “The postponement brings mixed feelings of disappointment and excitement. Above all, we are happy that no one was injured.
“While the delay is disappointing, the postponement will allow us to regroup, refocus and return stronger.”
The event had been due to run from January until just before the Masters in April, culminating in a series finale worth £18million.
The likes of Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth, Tommy Fleetwood and Justin Rose had agreed to compete in the inaugural event. But one of the players to initially sign up, Jon Rahm, pulled out recently.
In all, 24 players are expected to compete, and it has lured a number of high-profile investors, including Lewis Hamilton, Serena Williams and Steph Curry.
The plan is for players to strike golf balls at a 64-foot screen at what is a 2,000-seater facility which will host each event.
Following the year-long delay, TGL said in a statement: “The decision came after reviewing short-term soltuions, potential construction timelines, player schedules and the primetime sports television calendar.
“We remain excited about the future of TGL and will continue to build excitement between now and the start of the season with our players, fans and teams.”