The family of a 19-year-old fatally shot outside a Hollywood nightclub have persuaded the celebrity gossip website TMZ.com to edit a video showing the shooting.
The online protest from the relatives of the victim, Andre Lowe of South Los Angeles, reportedly drew support from more than 212,000 people.
A 22-year-old man has since been arrested and accused of the January 13 killing.
The Los Angeles Times reported that the family publicly called on TMZ.com to take down the shaky, hand-held video showing a fist fight that spread into a melee.
It ended with two shots being fired and the young man sprawled motionless on the pavement.
"My family found out about the video when they came home from the hospital where Andre died," said Mr Lowe's uncle, Jason Andrews, in an email sent to The LA Times.
"Some family members hadn't even been notified of his death yet and it was already posted to the web.
"To know that the last two minutes of a loved one's life is being viewed by thousands of strangers for entertainment is like pouring salt in an open wound."
The paper reported that later the TMZ.com video had been re-cut to remove the image of Lowe lying in the street.
A segment of the video, which does not contain the image of the young victim, also appears on the LA Times website.
The LA Times said Mr Andrews initiated a petition on Change.org, urging TMZ to remove the video after the website failed to respond to messages that he and other family members left regarding the video.
Mr Andrews and others also contacted the site's advertisers via Twitter, urging companies to withdraw ads from the TMZ page.
More than two dozen advertisers have responded to the appeal, a Change.org spokeswoman told the LA Times.
In his online appeal Mr Andrews said it was obvious "nothing is off limits when it comes to gaining ratings".
Los Angeles Police said the footage, which TMZ provided to police on the night of the incident, enabled investigators to identify a suspect and make an arrest.
Robert Earl Thomas, of Los Angeles, was arrested in Las Vegas on January 15 on suspicion of shooting Mr Lowe.
"Without that video, I doubt very seriously we would have been able to resolve this case," said Herman Frettlohr, one of two detectives investigating the case.
The family, however, believe the same outcome could have been achieved with a single image of the man seen in the video holding a gun.