Tommy Robinson released from prison nine weeks after he was jailed for contempt of court

Tommy Robinson outside the Old Bailey in London after being found in contempt of court by High Court judges for filming defendants in a criminal trial and broadcasting the footage on social media.

Tommy Robinson has been released prison nine weeks after he was jailed for contempt of court.

The English Defence League founder, was pictured with a beard and long hair as he left HMP Belmarsh in south-east London on Friday.

In a video posted online following his release, Robinson said: "First stop, hairdressers."

The 36-year-old, real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, waved at hundreds of his supporters gathered outside the jail and smiled as he walked free.

Robinson was locked up in July for live-streaming video which featured defendants in a sex grooming trial and put the case at risk of collapse.

Robinson denied reports he had been attacked in prison as he addressed supporters outside the prison, and said he was kept in solitary confinement.

Robinson said: “I have walked into Belmarsh prison and walked back out without seeing another prisoner.


Protesters clash with police and press as Tommy Robinson jailed for nine months

Tommy Robinson demands second vote after humiliating EU election defeat

Police pledge arrests after cars damaged during Tommy Robinson rally

“They would have (killed me).”

e said he had been sent 14 sacks of mail from supporters while in prison.

Robinson was locked up in July for live-streaming on Facebook a video which featured defendants in a sexual exploitation trial and put the case at risk of collapse.

Police officers clash with the supporters of Robinson during a rally in London last month. (PA)

As he was jailed in July, Robinson reportedly flashed a V for Victory sign to the public gallery and winked as the judge's decision was handed down.

Dame Victoria Sharp and Mr Justice Warby found him in contempt in three respects.

They concluded that he was in contempt by breaching the reporting restriction imposed on the trial, by live-streaming the video from outside the public entrance to the court, and by “aggressively confronting and filming” some of the defendants.

His incarceration sparked violent protests in London which saw his supporters clash with police.

Anti-fascist groups also staged counter-protests at the same time which led to a large police operation to keep the factions separate.

Before being jailed, Robinson stood as an independent MEP candidate in the North West but suffered a humiliating defeat with just 2.2 per cent of the vote.

---Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK---