Tommy Robinson supporters sought by police after officers attacked at London protest

Lizzie Dearden
Protesters scuffle with police at the junction of Whitehall and The Mall during a 'Free Tommy Robinson' protest on 9 June: AFP/Getty Images

A group of Tommy Robinson supporters who allegedly attacked officers after the anti-Islam activist was jailed are being hunted by police.

Scotland Yard has released images of 10 people who attended a “Free Tommy” protest in central London on 9 June 2018.

Serious disorder broke out in Whitehall as demonstrators hurled metal barriers, glass bottles and scaffolding at police officers.

More than 20 officers were injured and several people have already been jailed over the violence.

However, Det Sgt Matt Hearing said police were "extremely keen to identify these individuals, who were involved in serious disorder which resulted in a number of police officers getting injured."

He added: “Whilst we will always facilitate lawful protest, the actions of some individuals on that day showed a total disregard for the law and it is important that all those involved are brought to justice.”

Police have released images of nine men and one woman from the day of the protest.

Footage showed unarmed police being chased by a large crowd chanting “scum” near Trafalgar Square, while protesters had overrun and vandalised a sightseeing bus.

Former Ukip leader Gerard Batten, Dutch far-right leader Geert Wilders and For Britain group leader Anne Marie Waters spoke at the rally.

It was held as Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, served his first sentence for contempt of court last year.

The 36-year-old had been jailed for violating a reporting restriction on a grooming gang case at Leeds Crown Court and endangering a set of trials.

The judge initially banned reporting of Robinson’s imprisonment and conspiracy theories claiming he was being silenced by the “establishment” spread around the world, sparking angry protests.

The Court of Appeal freed Robinson in August 2018 over procedural failings, but fresh proceedings saw him jailed again in July.

London's Old Bailey heard that the Facebook live video broadcast by Robinson caused two attempts to discharge a jury considering verdicts against groomers and an appeal against a rape conviction, while a child rapist from the same gang fled to Pakistan during protests outside the court.

Police have released images of 10 people wanted over violence at a 'Free Tommy Robinson' protest in London on 9 June 2018 (Metropolitan Police)

Robinson was already under a suspended sentence for committing contempt of court at an unrelated rape trial in Canterbury at the time.

High Court judges said he incited viewers of his video to “encourage vigilante action”, used “derogatory terms” to describe the defendants’ ethnic and religious backgrounds, and risked a “serious impediment to the course of justice”.

Robinson had stated “there is a reporting restriction on this case” during his Facebook live video, but later claimed to be unaware of the terms as his account “developed and changed” through successive court hearings.

Judges also threw out arguments that proceedings against Robinson violated freedom of expression, saying it was outweighed by “interference with fair trial rights”.

The activist, who has multiple criminal convictions, was released in September and has announced his support for Boris Johnson.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Met’s Public Order crime team on 020 8246 0076, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Read more

Tommy Robinson could be banned from all football matches

Tommy Robinson supporter weeps in court after being spared jail

Man at Tommy Robinson protest hunted by police over attack on officer