COVID-19: Tottenham-Fulham fixture postponed after players test positive

·2-min read

A Premier League fixture between Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham has been postponed after a COVID-19 outbreak.

The clash between the seventh and 18th placed sides should have been played at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium tonight at 6pm.

Fulham returned a number of new positive COVID tests on Tuesday, Sky Sports reported, and were in talks with the Premier League over whether the game would go ahead as planned.

The Premier League Board had the final say on whether the match would take place.

The league said in a statement: "Fulham lodged a request with the Premier League board to rearrange the fixture following a significant rise in positive COVID-19 cases, as well as a number of players showing symptoms today.

"The Premier League board has consulted its medical advisors and the decision to postpone the game has been taken as a precaution and with the health of players and staff as the priority. The group will now be retested immediately.

"With low numbers of positive tests across the overwhelming majority of clubs, the Premier League continues to have full confidence in its COVID-19 protocols and being able to continue to play our fixtures as scheduled.

"The league wishes those with COVID-19 a safe and speedy recovery and will rearrange the postponed fixture between Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham in due course."

The match is the third in the English top flight to be postponed due to COVID-19 cases.

Earlier this month, Newcastle United's trip to Aston Villa was called off, together with Monday's match between Everton and Manchester City.

Coronavirus outbreaks at English football clubs have repeatedly raised concerns about games being able to take place, with the last week returning the highest number of positive tests across Premier League clubs in a seven-day period - mirroring the sharp rise in infections across the country.

As of Tuesday, there were 18 positives out of 1,479 tests on players and club staff between 21 and 27 December, the Premier League said, sparking calls to suspend the competition as happened last season.

Cases have also been reported at Arsenal, where defender Gabriel is isolating.